Construction Management Department
Criteria, Application Procedure, and Schedule
The Construction Management Department is pleased to announce the availability of Twenty One (21 plus AGC and GUCA)Scholarship awards for 2013. Students with only Construction Management Department Majors (Certificate, B.S., and M.S.) are eligible. Each Scholarship award, and the amount, will be based on actual funds available. Interested students are invited and encouraged to complete the application process. All applicants must be currently enrolled as full-time students (12 credits minimum for BS CM and 8 credits for MS CM) and must be in good academic standing. The Scholarships available for award include:
1) Toy-Mench Scholarship: One Scholarship of $ 500.
2) PCEA and ASPE Golden Hammer: Two Scholarships of $ 1000.
3) Flagler Foundation Scholarships: One Scholarship of $1000 and One Scholarship of $ 500.
4) Construction Management Industry Advisory Board (CMIAB): Five Scholarships of $ 2000 each.
5) Juneau Scholarship: One Scholarship of $ 1000 and One for $500.
6) AECA Scholarships One Scholarship of $2000.
7) IFMA Scholarship: Two $1000 Scholarships.
8) GUCA Scholarships: One to three Scholarships of $1000 each.
9) MCAA Scholarships: Six Scholarships of $1000 each.
10) AGC Scholarships: Two AGC of Georgia Scholarships are available for SPSU CM students, one each for BS CM program student and another Scholarship for MS CM Program student are available for award. There is also a National AGC Scholarship available.
Overview of Scholarships
1.The Toy-Mench Scholarship: One $ 500 Scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student in BS or MS degree Program with Construction Management major who has completed at least one course in the Specialty Construction concentration and is enrolled in another. The student must have a minimum overall SPSU GPA requirement for this Scholarship is 2.8.
2. The Golden Hammer Award, which has Three Scholarships of $ 1000, each funded jointly by the Professional Construction Estimators Association (PCEA) and the American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) Atlanta Chapters, are based on service to the profession, extracurricular activities, and merit (GPA).
3. The Flagler Foundation Scholarship, which includes one Scholarship of $1000 and another Scholarship for $ 500 will be awarded to two students who demonstrates a need for support and has a GPA of 3.0 or more.
4. The Construction Management Industry Advisory Board (CMIAB) is offering opportunity for Five $ 2,000 Scholarships based on merit (GPA), major, performance in curricular and extracurricular activities. one of these five Scholarships is dedicated to the memory of Late Joe Dusek, Vice President Hardin Construction, who was a member of SPSU's Construction Industry Advisory Board.
5. The Juneau Scholarship will be awarding One $ 1000 Scholarship to a student in BS CM or MS CM Program. The Scholarship is based on need and minimum GPA.
6. The AECA Scholarship will be awarding One $ 2000 Scholarship to a student in BS CM program who plans to work in an Electrical Contracting Firm of Atlanta.
7. The IFMA Scholarship will be awarding Two $1,000 Scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student in a BS or MS degree program with Construction Management major who has completed at least one course in the Facility Management Program and is enrolled in another. The student must have a minimum overall SPSU GPA of 2.8 for this Scholarship.8. The Georgia Utility Contractors Association (GUCA) may award up to three Scholarships of $ 1000 each. The number of GUCA Scholarships will be determined by Georgia Utility Contractors Association. 9. The MCAA Chapter of Excellence Grant may award up to Six $1000 Scholarships each to CM undergraduates or graduates. 10. The AGC of Georgia Education and Research Foundation has Two Scholarships available: one for Graduate CM Students s and one for Undergraduate CM students. The National AGC has One Scholarship.
Criteria and Applications1. Toy-Mench Scholarship (One $500 Scholarship) One $ 500 Scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student in BS or MS degree Program with Construction Management major who has completed at least one course in the Specialty Construction Program and is enrolled in another. The student must have a minimum overall SPSU GPA requirement for this Scholarship is 2.8.
4. CMIAB Scholarship(Five $2000 Scholarships)
The CMIAB Scholarship is offered by the Construction Management Department through the support of CM Industry Advisory Board. The applicant should be either an Undergraduate or a Graduate student who is currently enrolled in one of the Construction Management Programs. These applicants should show academic achievement (high GPA) as well as outstanding performance in curricular and extracurricular activities related to the discipline of Construction Management.
Besides the GUCA and AGC Scholarships, each Scholarship application should clearly state one of the categories mentioned above. Each qualified student may apply for only one major Scholarship ($1000 or more) and one other Scholarship. Multiple applications by one student for a major Scholarship will not be considered. Graduate, undergraduate, and certificate students are eligible to apply.
Construction Management students should submit their applications to Ms. Sharon Hamrick no later than Thursday, September 5, 2013 before 5:00 PM. The three-member Scholarship Committee from the department and one Advisory Board member will evaluate the applications received before the deadline and make recommendations to the Department Chair for announcement of the result. The Chair will announce the names of Scholarship recipients before September 20, 2013
Scholarship awards will be made available to the student’s accounts through the business office for use towards Spring 2013 tuition and fees. For GUCA and AGC Scholarships please send your applications directly to the addresses given on the application forms before the deadline or they will not be considered.
Successful candidates for Scholarship will be expected to participate in the Award Ceremony and are expected to write Thank You letters to their Scholarship Provider.