Business Administration

» SPSU Home / Business / FAQs & Suggestions /


Business Administration Department
1100 South Marietta Parkway
Marietta, GA  30060

Phone: 678-915-7439
Fax: 678-915-4967

Business Administration Minor
Frequently Asked Questions

What is required for a minor in Business Administration?

Fifteen hours of Business Administration courses are required. You must take ACCT 2101 and MGNT 3105. Of the remaining nine hours, at least six of them must be upper division (e.g. 3000 or 4000 level) courses. The other six hours can be either upper or lower level courses. Note that no accounting courses, other than ACCT 2101, may be used for the minor. Also note that students earning a BS in Accounting are not eligibility for the Business Administration minor.

Can accounting students get the business minor?

No. Accounting majors cannot minor in Business. Accounting majors are required to take a significant number of business classes in order to complete their degree. In the corporate world, having an accounting degree comes with the perception that you are also knowledgeable in business so the minor would not make any sense anyway.

Do I have to "declare" a minor?

No. Nothing is required to you to take courses towards a minor. When you get ready to graduate, you will list the minor on your petition to graduate. Including the minor on the petition to graduate is the only administrative action required for the minor.

Having said that, it is to your strong advantage "declare" the minor even though it is not required. That way, Degree Works keeps track of your progress towards the minor as well as your major. To declare your minor, just send an email to the registrar's office with your name, student ID, and a note telling him you plan to get the Business Administration minor and he will code it into Degree Works for you.

Can I count other courses taught by the Business Administration Department?

Almost any course that begins with MGNT; along with ECON 2105 and ECON 2106 as long as you are not using them for area E3 of the core.

Can I use ECON 1101 towards a minor?

For most students, the answer is no. Most students who take ECON 1101 take it as part of the core, specifically what is called Area E. SPSU policy is that courses in Areas A-E of the core cannot be double-counted. That means if you use ECON 1101 to fulfill part of your core requirements, you cannot double-count it as part of your minor. If, however, you took ECON 1101 and do not need it to fulfill your core requirements, then you can count it towards a minor in Business Administration. However, that will not apply to most students.

Some Business courses are taught by the IET Department. Will those count?

No. Only courses that begin with MGNT, ECON, or ACCT will count towards your minor.

I am majoring in IET and I have to take four MGNT courses as part of my major. Can I count these towards my minor in Management?

Yes. SPSU allows courses like these to be double-counted, once towards your major and again towards your minor. In fact, a course can be counted towards the major and multiple minors if it fits in more than one minor.

I only have four of the five courses needed to complete the minor. Can I use a course substitution for the last course?

Generally speaking, no. University policy is to leave the decision regarding course substitutions for the minor to the departments issuing the minor. Except in very unusual situations, the Business Administration Department does not allow course substitutions to complete the minor. Generally speaking, only transfer courses that come in as a business course, ACCT, ECON, and MGNT courses can be used to complete the minor.

What are the grade requirements for the minor? Do I have to make all C's?

There are no specific grade requirements for a minor. A D counts. While it is not recommended, you could actually make D's in all the courses in the minor and still receive the minor. You need an overall 2.0 to graduate but there are no specific GPA requirements for minors in the Business Administration Department.

Do I have to take all the courses for the minor at SPSU?

No. According to the undergraduate catalog:

"To receive a minor, a student must complete at least six hours of the upper division requirements for the minor at Southern Polytechnic State University. Transfer credit may be used to satisfy the other requirements for the minor. Specific courses for minors are listed at the end of the curricula section of this catalog."

What that means is that at least two of your upper division (3000+) minor courses must be taken at SPSU. The others can be transferred in from other schools.

Can I count cross-registration courses towards my minor?

Yes, as long as they are business courses. As far as SPSU is concerned, cross-registered courses are treated exactly the same as courses taken at SPSU.

Kennesaw State University (or some other university) has a minor in Marketing (or any other minor of interest). Can I take cross-registration courses to get that minor instead of a minor in Business Administration?

No. Since you are graduating from SPSU, you can only graduate with a minor that SPSU offers. You can cross-register for courses in Marketing or Finance or other business areas and count them towards a minor in Business Administration but you can only graduate with a minor that SPSU offers.

Can I count 6000-level MGNT courses towards a minor?

No. 6000-level courses are graduate courses and cannot be used towards an undergraduate degree. In addition, undergraduate students are not allowed to take MGNT 6000-level courses. There is no graduate minor in Business Administration.



Facebook Twitter YouTube