» SPSU Home / ATTIC / International Student Services / Faculty & Staff Resources

Faculty & Staff Resources

Enrollment Requirements for International Students

All F-1 & J-1 students are required to be enrolled full-time during Fall and Spring semesters. Full-time for Undergraduate is 12 hours, Graduates 8 or 9 hours. International students are not required to take classes during the summer semester, as it is considered a vacation semester.

If the student’s first semester at SPSU is summer, then an Undergraduate student must be 12 hours, Graduate students - 6 hours

Online (Distance learning) Courses

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states that “No more than the equivalent of one on-line/distance education class or 3 credits per semester may count towards the “full course of study” requirement.”

The distance education provision does not limit the number of distance education credits that can be used towards a degree’s requirements, but rather the number of such credit that can be used to satisfy the “full course of study” requirement.

If you have any questions regarding enrollment requirements for International Students, please contact the Coordinator of International Student Services.

Hiring F-1 & J-1 International Students

Who is considered an International Student?

An International Student is a student that is in the United States with F-1student status or J-1 exchange student status. To obtain this status, the student must acquire a form I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitors (J-1) status, which is this the Certificate of Eligibility to attend classes at SPSU.

What is considered on campus employment?

On campus employment if employment that is performed on the schools premises, usually paid by the school. There are exceptions: (1) A commercial firm which provides services for the students on campus may employ international students (example: bookstore, food services). (2) A student may work at an off-campus location that has a contractual relationship with the school. Note: International students can only hold student assistant, GA, or TA positions. They are ineligible for College Work Study.

How many hours per week can an International Student work?

An International Student can work part-time, 20 hours per week while school is in session. The student can work full-time, 40 hours per week during semester breaks and vacation.  It is the responsibility of the department to ensure that the student does not exceed the allowable work hours.

Can on-campus employment be considered illegal?

Yes, if the student works more than 20 hours weekly during the semester. On-campus employment can also be considered illegal if the student works without authorization from the Coordinator of International Student Services.


  1. Each semester the supervisor must fill out the Supervisor’s Employment Acknowledgement Form, including rehires. This form should be done in conjunction with your department EIF’s.
  2. The form must be returned to the ATTIC-lower level of the Joe Mack Wilson Student Center.

Note: Students do not need authorization from USCIS to work on campus.  This information is based on the Code of Federal Register (CFR) 214.2 (f) (9) (i)

For more information, please contact the Coordinator of International Student Services.

Supervisor's Acknowledgement Form 

Facebook Twitter YouTube