Welcome to our new faculty!
We'd like all new faculty to get off to a good start. This page contains some materials that should help.
The Quick Start Guide is issued each year, and contains basic information about SPSU, new employee information, our academic programs, core requirements, faculty expectations, and tips on getting started in the classroom.
Additional tips on getting started in the classroom are listed at our Center for Teaching Excellence's website.
Some additional materials that should be useful about using technology, academic content, and proper writing are listed here:
- "How to Use Technology" Introduction by Bob Harbort
- "Standards of Academic Content" document
- "An Example of Proper Writing" document
SPSU has an Honor Code and a new procedure relating to when academic misconduct is alleged. Information about the Honor Code and the misconduct procedure may be found at http://spsu.edu/honorcode/.
Each year, we prepare new faculty "mini-biographies" that are handed out at the first faculty meeting of the year. Here are the last several:
- New Faculty Biographies (2006)
- New Faculty Biographies (2007)
- New Faculty Biographies (2008)
- New Faculty Biographies (2009)
- New Faculty Biographies (2010)
- New Faculty Biographies (2011)
- New Faculty Biographies (2012)
General information about what's happening on campus can be found from several sources:
- Breaking news may be found on the News Listing page.
- The Hornet's Nest contains features about faculty, staff, students, athletics, and events on campus.
- The Vice President for Academic Affairs writes a weekly newsletter called The Weekly Blab.
Promotion and Tenure
Information about promotion and tenure can be found in several of SPSU's Policies and Procedures. Some of the most important ones are:
- 803.0 Reappointment of Untenured Faculty Members
- 803.0101 Graduate Faculty Status
- 803.07 Assessment of Faculty
- 803.0701 Student Assessment of Faculty
- 803.075 Faculty Activities
- 803.09 Faculty Promotion and Tenure
Forms, instructions, and deadlines can be found here.