Extended Deans Council Meeting
June 19, 2013
Guests: Joel Fowler, Faculty Observer
Item 1. Approval of Minutes
Item 2. Updates
Szafran updated the Council on the following:
Item 3. Catalog Issues
Catalog Issues - Jill Brady talked about the new catalog software the school will be using. She needs to identify who inputs the data and who is responsible for signing off for each department/school. Training will be available. Jill stated there are a lot of clean up issues she is working on. Send any errors or changes to her. Zvi stated there a number of certificates that are not listed that are active and some inactive certificates are still listed and that this needs to be corrected. Hamrick stated that every year someone fails to attend the training and update their data. This needs to be enforced and suggested to have the deans sign off on it.
Item 4. Comprehensive Program Review
Zvi sent out the rubric the BoR is using. Becky updated the P&P; Bob is updating everything else. The BoR wants to look at all of the reports including accrediting reports. If anyone objects to including accrediting reports, Zvi reminded the Council that they will be uploaded to a secure site which is password protected. Those who prefer may substitute a new report for the accrediting report. He reminded the Council to make sure each department and school is updated and accurate and that Bob Homer has everything he needs.
Item 5. Office Needs for Fall
Each Council member stated their needs for office space for the fall and shared what they are doing to make accommodations. Zvi reminded the Council that he needs departmental requests for computers for the new faculty as soon as possible.
Item 6. Partnering with the Education Advisory Board
Zvi passed out a summary of membership services and listed a few of the institutions already affiliated with them. The EAB works with institutions on higher education issues to find solutions. The cost for membership is $26,500 per year and will give us access to reports and research on projects the EAB has worked on with other institutions. Zvi shared a handbook from Education Advisory Board. After a brief discussion, the Council endorsed the purchase of the membership for Academic Affairs. Enrollment Services and Business and Finance already have memberships relevant to their areas. Szafran asked the Council to review and identify items we may want to pursue and to let him know of questions or concerns. Szafran asked the Council to review the handout from the handbook for discussions at future meetings. He also stated that the CTE will be offering DegreeWorks training this coming year.
Item 7. RETP – Regents Engineering Transfer Program
Tom Currin recently attended the Georgia Consortium of Engineering Schools meeting at which they discussed the current Regents Engineering Transfer Program (RETP) and talked about creating a 5-school collaborative transfer program agreement where students could be accepted into any one of the five schools if they meet the criteria established by the Consortium. They also talked about degree mapping and the benefits to our students. There would be issues to work out, such as inconsistent GPA requirements among the schools, etc.
Item 8. New Degree Proposals
Three New Engineering Degree prospectuses are being proposed and are scheduled to be on first fall meeting of the Senate for concept approval. They include Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering, and a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. Since the prospectuses had been previously distributed there was little discussion. Szafran stated that after senate approval, the prospectuses would go to him and the President for approval, then to the Board of Regents. If approved by the BoR, the prospectus would come back to SPSU for development into a full proposal and curriculum and would go to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee for final review and approval. The full proposal, when approved on campus, would then go to the BoR for approval.
Item 9. New Business
Becky Rutherfoord gave a brief update on SACS and stated that the self-study chairs and co-chairs had been chosen for the committees.
Future Agenda Items:
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 PM