SPSU Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Extended Deans Council Meeting

April 10, 2013

B 120

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

Members:  Dave Caudill, Rich Cole, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Yongli Ma, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Becky Rutherfoord, Zvi Szafran

 

Members Absent:  

 

Guests:  Joel Fowler, Faculty Observer; Gary Mann, Financial Aid

 

 

Item 1. Gary Mann – Financial Aid Changes

 

Gary Mann visited the Council meeting today to explain the new financial aid regulations and how they relate to repeated courses.  Basically, only one repeat of course will be paid for by financial aid; special topics courses would be exempt.  The effective date was last fall but financial aid was not set up to check this.  Gary talked about state compliance as well; David Stone is staying on top of this.  Gary also talked about the procedures for financial aid when new students are accepted.   Tuition/Hope rates should be out in May.  

 

 

Item 2. Updates

 

Szafran updated the Council on the following:

 

  • Budget – the BoR is expected to decide on tuition increase at their May meeting.  Formula funding is basically equal to our cut of 3%.  
  • Internal funding needs - staff needs have been submitted for review by Dr. Rossbacher and total approximately $1.4 million for staff; for new faculty we would need $800,000 additional in state dollars.  Szafran stated that we won't complete every search - most likely we will need $600,000 for faculty, and we only have about $1.2 million available total so all needs will not be met.  This will be discussed more next week at the Senior Staff meeting.  Szafran will share information as it becomes available.
  • Degrees - responses to questions regarding the two environmental degrees went in today.  These should be on the May agenda - Environmental Science and Environmental Science and Technology.  Biotechnology – The System Office initially rejected the prospectus because of program duplication (KSU).  Szafran responded stating that Biotechnology fits our mission and has not received any new news.   Missions should be on the May agenda as well.  If all goes well we will pursue the DPS next.
  • UCC passed the REET proposal - moving on to the full faculty; next will be the Masters in Mechatronics and Electrical.  The BAS in Health Information Technology passed the UCC and will now go to the faculty.  
  • End of Year Spending – Szafran stated that there should be no outstanding departmental requests; all that have been received in his office have been executed for the end of the year.  He is still waiting for departmental requests from a couple of schools.  If there are any questions about the May 6th deadline, Zvi will talk to Prigge about the possibility of encumbering funds.
  • New registrar hired – Jill Brady from North Georgia College will be starting April 22; Steve retires effective July 31, 2013

 

 

 

Item 3. Approval of minutes

 

The March 13, 2013, Deans Council Meeting minutes were approved.

 

 

Item 4. Graduate Assistantships as Potential Recruiting Tools (Palamiotis)

 

Nikki stated that she was approached by Bill Prigge regarding waivers given for assistantships. Dr. Rossbacher has expressed some concern about the amount of waivers given and the revenue lost.  This began a discussion about the use of graduate assistants and if they are being utilized in the best possible way.  Nikki stated that the majority of students receiving graduate assistantships here would be here without an assistantship.   Han disagreed and stated that most of his students come here with the expectation of receiving an assistantship.  Nikki went over the budget which was $158,000 for 2013; $119,000 was actually spent. Some departments are not using their allocated funds.  Nikki reported that for spring 2013 the university lost $56,292 for in-state students; for non-residents it was $93,015 in lost revenue compared to last spring which lost $54,222 for in-state students; $84,000 nonresidents.  This only includes lost tuition and does not include stipends.  Nikki wants to use graduate assistantships for recruiting purposes and sees this as a way to get more students. Caudill stated that the ones that work for them invaluable.  Comments from the Council:

 

  • Let the schools pay the full amount for graduate assistants and manage them themselves. We need to talk about how these students are being used and their value.  Be careful how we do this because in CSE students assist faculty so that they can do research.  
  • Traditionally graduate assistants had to be working in academics.  
  • The P&P still in draft.  
  • Stipends are low but waivers are important to out-of-state students.
  • Have a graduated system of awarding waivers - group to work with Nikki?  
  • Have to have a basis on which to determine true cost for assistantship.
  • Formula funding based on growth is still in effect - 3% for us.  This is different from full formula funding based on other criteria.  
  • Total stipends have gone up a bit over the last 5 years.  The Georgia Council on Graduate Schools is discussing this topic and collecting data from the USG.  
  • Graduate assistants doing student work should not be getting waivers; graduate assistants should be teaching or doing research in their field.
  • None should be teaching.   This was followed by a long discussion on using graduate assistants as teaching assistants and discussion of qualifications and the difference in using graduate students from Georgia Tech with master’s degrees to teach versus using our own graduate students without masters degrees. We need to decide if we're going to cross the line and let undergraduate degreed students teach.
  • Zvi – is there some interest in crossing the line of utilizing graduate assistants for doing research, recitation or labs especially for new faculty members during their first year, year and a half?  One school stated that they have already crossed that line.   Szafran stated that we would need to identify how these graduate assistants would be used and take a proposal to the president for approval.  
  • Graduate assistants need to be doing research or teaching. Non-academic units can hire graduate students as student assistants without the waiver.  
  • Give units the freedom to decide if they want to pay the full cost associated with the waiver.  
  • Define proper use of academic graduate assistants, get accounting piece of this.  We all need to be on same page.
  • Szafran will draft something and meet with Prigge about the accounting portion of graduate assistantships and bring it back to council for discussion.  After the accounting portion of graduate assistantships is clarified and finalized, Nikki and Becky will work on updating the P&P.  
  • Nikki will do an orientation for graduate assistants and will produce a manual for supervisors.
  • Hopefully faculty are not being paid for labs in the summer that are actually being taught by graduate assistants.  Zvi responded it shouldn't matter if it's summer or the rest of the year, faculty should be doing their own work.

 

 

Item 5. Closure on Restricting Classroom Use


This topic was discussed at Deans Council and brought to the ALC for input.  There were no objections during the meeting but some concerns were brought to the deans after the meeting.  How to proceed?  One of the concerns is that this is not implementable by the chairs and that additional options were not considered.  UITS is interested in long term solutions; cloud use, etc., and that will help. Faculty must have training but almost all classrooms have different technology and it would cost greatly to provide training on all classroom technologies.  Amendment: Tom Currin and Jeff Ray will become a committee of two and draft a letter to UITS regarding restricting classroom use.

 

 

Item 6. Evaluation of Department Chairs

 

As discussed at the last Academic Leadership Council meeting, the P&P on the Evaluation of Department Chairs is outdated and has not been reviewed since 2000.  After discussion about which body should update the P&P on the evaluation of department chairs, it was decided that a subcommittee made up of Rich Cole and Han Reichgelt would update the P&P with input from Alana Kyriakakis. 

 

 

Item 7. New Business

 

  • Russ Hunt raised a concern that some units around campus are being asked to perform services for others outside of their area.  This includes use of equipment, personnel, materials, etc. and involves a real cost to the unit being asked to provide the service.  It was suggested that a policy be created to address this.   
  • Alana Kyriakakis will be reviewing several P&Ps including Allegations of Academic Misconduct, Intellectual Property, and will be looking at faculty contract wording. 
  • Szafran is working with Kyriakakis on a policy regarding minors on campus and international travel liability and will share the documents when completed.
  • Becky - 5th year report needs co-chairs and committee members and will be sending out an email to the whole campus asking for volunteers.

 

 

 

Action Items:

 

  • Tom Currin and Jeff Ray will become a committee of two and draft a letter to UITS regarding restricting classroom use.
  • Szafran will draft something and meet with Prigge about the accounting portion of graduate assistantships and bring it back to council for discussion.
  • After discussion about which body should update the P&P on the evaluation of department chairs, it was decided that a subcommittee made up of Rich Cole and Han Reichgelt will update the P&P with input from Alana Kyriakakis.    
  • After the accounting portion of graduate assistantships is clarified and finalized, Nikki and Becky will work on updating the P&P.  

 

 

Future Agenda Items:

 

 

 

Meeting Adjourned at 3:58 PM