Extended Deans Council Meeting
March 20, 2013
Note: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in
these meetings be excluded from these minutes.
Members: Dave Caudill, Rich Cole, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Yongli
Ma, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Becky Rutherfoord,
Members Absent: Nikki Palamiotis
Guests: Joel Fowler, Faculty Observer
Item 1. Updates
Szafran distributed an article by David Brooks entitled “How Movements Recover” and
updated the Council on the following:
- The University of North Georgia will be inaugurating a new president soon – Szafran
and Tom Nelson will be attending.
- A California company specializing in the heat treatment of aircraft parts will be
opening a location in Eastman, Georgia, and has reached out to SPSU for academic connections.
We have identified several faculty with experience in this area to collaborate with
this company in the future.
- Budget – The House portion of the budget has approved money for Building D. Hopefully
the Governor will also pass.
- Rose Street – property purchase has been approved
- End of Year Expenditures – the Senior Staff met yesterday to recommend projects for
end of year money. Of interest to Academic Affairs are the following:
- Year two of three year plan for wireless networking
- Building M renovation
- Building I data center
- Building E first floor and restroom upgrade
- Design and renovation of the Rose Street property
- Furniture for Building I
- BoR – the budget process continues. The Board of Regents supports the Senate version
of the gun legislation.
- Upcoming activities on campus: Irish-American Jeopardy is at noon tomorrow, speaker
on U.S.-Japan Cultural Relations, French Consul General will speak tomorrow night
at 6:00, and a visit is being planned for the Chairwoman of African Unity during the
week of April 15, 2013.
- Candidate interviews for the new Registrar are on-going.
- Sam Conn is heading the Library Director search.
- UTEACH visit went well yesterday.
Item 2. Approval of Minutes
The February 13, 2013, Extended Deans Council Meeting minutes were approved.
Item 3. Online Instruction
David Stone talked about some of the topics from the RACDE Meeting he attended recently:
- MOOCs - Stone reported that the Board of Regents wants the USG to become a leader
in this area and wants to know what each institution is currently doing or has plans
to do. If the BoR does not get ideas or feedback, it was suggested that they may
come up an initiative of their own.
- Columbus State University’s is currently working on a low-cost bachelor’s degree
- Distance education is being discussed for K-12
- e-Core has an open source history book that is free for their students.
- Albany State and Learning House are in a dispute over ownership of instructional materials.
- Cobb County Chairman Tim Lee is pushing to improve graduation rates in the county.
Item 4. Part-Time Faculty Pay
SPSU is moving toward developing an academic research network separate from our production
site. Han Reichgelt and Sam Conn are working together on this project and will start
with a pilot in the School of Computing and Software Engineering. The proposal is
to use part of the CSE network to create a virtual machines lab for campus use. Han
cited two good reasons to consider this:
- Security and risk management – no access to Banner, etc. on this network
- Need a good return of investment – CSE spent a lot of money on their server and it
makes sense to use it for this purpose as well.
Sam spoke more in detail about the benefits of moving in this direction as well as
training for faculty, etc.
Item 5. MOOCs
The Council once again discussed the pros and cons of MOOCs.
Item 6. New Business
- Steve stated that there have been some problems with D2L. Students or anyone else
having access issues and should put in a work order for resolution.
- Promotion and Tenure decisions have been made and faculty were called personally by
Dr. Szafran as well sent written notification.
- Summer work schedule has been determined and a notice should be coming out soon from
Future Agenda Items:
Meeting Adjourned at 3:55 PM