VP of Academic Affairs

» SPSU Home / Vice President Academic Affairs / Meeting Minutes / DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Deans Council Meeting

March 13, 2013

 B 120

 

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

Members:  Rich Cole, Tom Currin, Ruston Hunt, Thomas Nelson, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

 

Members Absent:  

 

GuestsJoel Fowler, Faculty Observer; Steve Hamrick; Becky Rutherfoord; David Stone

 

 

Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

  • The hidden firearms bill is now in the legislature.  The System Office supports the current (Senate) bill.
  • Degree Proposals – The System Office has some questions about our proposed Environmental degrees; Szafran is working on a response.  Our Biotechnology proposal has been denied because of program duplication.  SPSU is appealing this decision.  Our proposed DPS won’t be reviewed until after the Regents complete their review of institutional missions.
  • Capital – Szafran will begin signing departmental requests that are to be funded out of capital equipment funds and will send them forward.  Our request for funding for Building D has made it into the House version of the budget.
  • Budget – Szafran and Prigge will be meeting with the president regarding next year’s budget and hopes this will shed some light on the faculty hires for next year. 

 

 

Item 2. Approval of Minutes

The February 20, 2013 Deans Council minutes were approved.

 

 

Item 3. Tech Fee Proposal Prioritization Discussion

David Stone visited the meeting today to talk about tech fee proposals and the need for coordinating efforts between end of year money, capital equipment funds, and tech fee submissions to be sure each dean’s highest priorities are met and that there are no duplications.  Stone will be coordinating with the deans about this.  Additionally, several tech fee proposals were rejected because they could be part of a bigger picture plan and the infrastructure must be in place to handle implementation of these requests.  Szafran will talk to Sam Conn about tech fee issues.

Stone also stated that there have been significant changes in the State Authority Plan and that he is working with our new legal counsel to address the states that we don’t have agreements with.

 

 

 

Item 4. Part-time Faculty Pay Proposals

Szafran distributed a Chronicle of Higher Education article on part-time faculty pay and noted that our rates were consistent with most of the surveyed salary ranges except in some of the Arts and Sciences areas.

Steve Hamrick was asked to join today’s meeting to discuss a “workload document” he is putting together to help capture how we are calculating workloads for full- and part-time faculty since there seems to be some confusion and recent errors calculating pay.  It was suggested to add Architecture studios to be the same as labs, recitations count as one hour, and that the dean can bring a request to pay extra for unusually large numbers of students in a course.  It was decided that all irregularities to the standard needs to be documented.  Han stated he has an issue with the last paragraph regarding multiple modalities.  A sentence about the workload for lecturers needs to be added.  Other additions/deletions or concerns should be addressed to Steve.

The Council briefly discussed the pay policies submitted from each school and the consensus was to adjust the base salary based on criteria which included items such as teaching experience, degree earned, professional licensure, etc.   It was also suggested that implementing changes that would increase pay for part-time faculty might be seen as giving raises in a time where full-time faculty have not received raises in five years.  Szafran will review each school’s pay policy and come up with a consolidated document to use as a starting point.  Szafran also stated that our legal counsel has suggested that we need to have summer contracts because lack of contracts could potentially lead to lawsuits.  Szafran also clarified the difference between extra compensation and contract adjustments.  Generally, extra comp is to be used for staff only whereas contract adjustments apply to faculty only.

Hamrick talked about new Federal financial aid policies that prohibit financial aid paying for repeated courses that have been successfully passed.  Different courses have different rules for what is considered passing.  Some of our courses require a “C” or better where as some only require a “D” to pass.  This topic needs to be on a future agenda as soon as possible and invite Gary Mann from Financial Aid to clarify the new financial aid regulations.

Steve was asked to look at the time between Phases 2 and 3 of registration because students will not be allowed to register for one month.  Steve will see if something can be changed to allow students access to registration longer between phase 2 and 3 of registration.

 

 

Item 4. New Business

  • The issue of staff disparity in salaries was brought up because new administrative assistants are coming in making up to 10% more than existing administrative assistants.
  • Szafran wants to hear from the Faculty Senate before considering any changes to the summer pay policy. 
  • Staff should be encouraged to complete their degrees as part of the Complete College Georgia initiative.
  • Raises are not in the budget for next year.
  • An issue is coming up to the Senate regarding Promotion and Tenure communication issues.  Despite guidelines that specify that the candidate should receive a copy of the letter prepared at each step of the P&T process, some faculty are still not getting copies.  This is being attributed to new committee chairs not always knowing the rules.  Szafran asked if the department chairs and deans should be charged with enforcing this and it was agreed they should.  This will be brought up at the next Senate meeting.
  • The new annual review process for staff has created some concerns.  The new instrument has not been finalized or implemented.
  • Evaluation of department chairs needs to be on a future agenda.  The P&P is old and outdated.
  • Summer work day – will it be 4 or 5 days in the summer.  Szafran will ask the president if a decision has been made about the summer work schedule.

 

 

Action Item(s):

  • Szafran will talk to Sam Conn about tech fee issues.
  • Steve will see if something can be changed to allow students access to registration longer between phase 2 and 3 of registration.
  • Szafran will ask the president if a decision has been made about the summer work schedule.

 

 

 

Future Agenda Item(s):

 

  • Some of our courses require a “C” or better where as some only require a “D” to pass.  This topic needs to be on a future agenda as soon as possible and invite Gary Mann from Financial Aid to clarify the new financial aid regulations.
  • Evaluation of department chairs needs to be on a future agenda.  The P&P is old and outdated.

 

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 3.32 P.M.

 ©