SPSU Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Deans Council Meeting

February 20, 2013

 C 131

 

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

Members:  Rich Cole, Tom Currin, Ruston Hunt, Thomas Nelson, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

 

Members Absent:   Rich Cole

 

GuestsTom Ball, Joel Fowler, Faculty Observer, Zuhair Itr for Rich Cole

 

 

Item 1. Updates

 

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

 

  • New Degree Proposals - Both Environmental degree proposals are now at the Board of Regents for review.
  • RACAA - Szafran will attend a RACAA meeting next week.  On the agenda is a proposal for discussion that would allow state universities to offer limited doctoral programs.  Szafran will meet with Han Reichgelt to talk about how this proposal (if approved) to allow limited doctoral programs might impact our proposed DPS.
  • Complete College Georgia – Szafran recently attended the Complete College Georgia meeting and reported that it was focused heavily on increasing adult students who have some college but no degree, incorporating the use of graduation coaches to help students reach graduation, articulations with technical colleges, to name a few.

 

 

Item 2. Classroom Technology Issues

 

Jeff Ray discussed issues some faculty are having with the technology in their classrooms, some of which include:

 

  • Classroom technology is not keeping up with demands of on-line teaching, especially ECHO 360
  • Faculty and/or students are tampering with the equipment in a classroom rendering it unusable by the next person scheduled to teach in that room.  This causes delays in the class and embarrassment to the faculty.
  • Providing training to the faculty who use the equipment in the classroom may help
  • No technical support for faculty if equipment is not working
  • Not sure if this is Academic Affairs responsibility or USIT
  • Who is responsible if projector bulbs burn out because they are improperly used and left on

 

Jeff also distributed a draft proposal to address these issues for review.  The Council decided that this proposal should go to the department chairs and the faculty.  Jeff asked Tom Ball to write a draft paragraph to go with the proposal and send it to Dr. Szafran to send out to the Academic Leadership Council for discussion at the next meeting.

 

 

Item 3. Capital Budget Requests

 

The deans brought their capital equipment requests for discussion and prioritization.  Dr. Szafran stated that he has approximately $1.0 million dollars to begin spending and asked the deans to get departmental requests in to him ASAP.  Szafran will notify the deans once approved capital equipment departmental requests leave the VPAA’s Office for processing.

 

Han Reichgelt asked about the possibility of leasing equipment versus buying equipment such as servers.  Szafran asked Reichgelt to do a cost benefit analysis of leasing equipment versus buying equipment, especially servers, and bring the information back to the Deans Council.

 

 

Item 4. Space Request from the Math Department

 

The Mathematics Department submitted a space request to acquire three recently vacated offices in their building to house two new full-time faculty and one part-time office.  Approved.

 

 

 

Action Item(s):

 

  • Szafran will meet with Han Reichgelt to talk about how this proposal (if approved) to allow limited doctoral programs might impact our proposed DPS.
  • Reichgelt will do a cost benefit analysis of leasing equipment versus buying equipment, especially servers, and bring the information back to the Deans Council.
  • Szafran will notify the deans once approved capital equipment departmental requests leave the VPAA’s Office for processing.

 

 

Future Agenda Item(s):

 

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 3.35 P.M.