SPSU Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Deans Council Meeting

October 3, 2012

 B 120

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

Members:  Rich Cole, Tom Currin, Ruston Hunt, Thomas Nelson, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

Members Absent:   Tom Currin, Jeffrey Ray

GuestsSam Beadles for Tom Currin, John Sweigart for Jeffrey Ray

 

Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

  • Minutes – The minutes from the September 19thDeans Council Meeting were reviewed and approved.  Follow-up to last meeting’s Action Item(s):
    • Debbie will correct the members for Deans Council and Extended Deans Council.  Done
    • Zvi will talk to Bill Prigge and Arthur Vaughn about giving the deans access to their departments’ budgets. Done
    • Jeff Ray agreed to draft a minimum set of guidelines to be used to assure that faculty and chairs are doing what is needed to ensure the integrity of the assessment process for live, online, and hybrid courses. Not present.
    • Szafran agreed to talk to the President and Meg Dillon about them meeting on a regular basis regarding the agenda and areas of primacy.  Szafran has had some discussions with the President.
    • Russ Hunt brought up a concern that there is not a P&P that discusses how committees should be constituted and agreed to draft something to present to the Council and the President, and if approved he will give it to the Senate to use until they create a new policy.  In progress.
    • Tom Nelson agreed to draft a policy on transient credit for courses failed at SPSU that meets ABET regulations and we will use this interim policy until the P&P is updated.  In progress.
    • Upcoming Events:
      • October 5, 2012--11:00 AM--Student Center Theatre
        Ian Schreiber, founder of Global Game Jam will be speaking at SPSU's Convocation/First Year Experience event.  Part of the Interface Lecture Series.
      • October 9, 2012--3:00 PM--Location TBA
        Ms. Viivi Seppanen (Kainuu Vocational College) and Mr. Ville Tuominen (North Kerelia Municipal Vocational Training Consortium) will speak on "Digital Learning Technologies in Finland:  From a National Framework to Local Projects and Classrooms."
      • November 14, 2012--12:00 Noon--Location TBA
        Andrew Greenberg, President, Georgia Game Developer's Association,  "Winning the Business of Games ... or at Least Not Getting P0wnd."  These and other events are posted on the Academic Affairs website under Cross Cultural Communication.

 

Item 2. Debriefing of the Plaid Avenger’s Visit

Szafran talked about John Boyer’s visit and asked how we might implement some of his ideas.  Comments:

  • Online office hours/advising
  • Stream labs
  • Virtual juries for ARCH
  • Shared office hours among faculty teaching the same course
  • Software would be needed to share screens (advising and tutoring) especially in math
  • Web-based program is available
  • CTE could research what is available
  • Peer-reviewed learning object

Szafran suggested we conduct classes for faculty to demonstrate how different faculty present materials and will ask the CTE to identify exemplary faculty and create a course for new faculty and one for other faculty to attend to view teaching techniques.

 

Item 3.  Minimum Requirements for assessing Integrity

Tabled until the next meeting.

 

Item 4.  Time Blocks for Course Scheduling

Tabled until the next meeting.

 

Item 5.  New Business

  • Russ Hunt sent out information for a Center for Digital Engagement and asked the deans to review.
  • Dave Caudill’s office is receiving inquiries from faculty about who is available to proctor exams so that this information can be added to their written materials.  Hunt reminded the Council that the cost must be paid by the departments and to make sure faculty understand all the implications.
  • Rich Cole and Tom Nelson are working together on a digital art project.
  • Convocation is on Friday.
  • Ronny Richardson has requested a center be established “in name only” for a particular faculty member.  The Deans Council decided that wasn't within the guidelines for establishing centers.

 

Action Item(s):

Szafran suggested we conduct classes for faculty to demonstrate how different faculty present materials and will ask the CTE to identify exemplary faculty and create a course for new faculty and one for other faculty to attend to view teaching techniques.

 

Future Agenda Item(s):

Minimum Requirements for assessing Integrity

Time Blocks for Course Scheduling

 

Meeting adjourned at 3:49 PM.