SPSU Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Deans Council Meeting

B-120

April 18, 2012

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

Members:  Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

Members Absent:  

Guests

 

Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following

  • Academic Affairs organizational chart needs to be updated.
  • Reviewed summer pay proposal – all in favor
  • BoR – announced a 2.5% tuition increase; fee increases; $1.3 additional funding (formula) which is to be spend on additional faculty, replacement for money lost due to budget cut, and support/development of online courses; SPSU will be losing 170,000 of STEM funding
  • Complete College Georgia – Dr. Rossbacher is reviewing SPSU’s initial report.  Senior Staff will review it as well before it goes to Downtown.  Deadline is April 25.
  • Deans job descriptions – Russ Hunt  will forward to the Deans as well
  • Attendance at commencement – require faculty to attend commencement, add this to the faculty activities report, or make it an expectation?  It is already a faculty expectation per Szafran and he asked the Council to remind their faculty that they are supposed to be at commencement.
  • A&S is having a student showcase on Friday.  Such things should be captured and put on the website.
  • Offer letters for part-time faculty – departments should not be issuing contract or offer letters to part-time faculty.  This can cause legal issues and should not be done.  Part-time faculty must sign a part-time agreement only and be hired with an EIF.

 

Item #2.  Space Issues and the New Policy

Szafran talked about the new space allocation policy and reminded the Council that they should not trade space any longer but submit the proper space allocation forms for approval.  All requests will be sent forward even if no space is available or identified.  Szafran will be working with Bill Prigge on clarifying details and what happens once the requests are submitted to Facilities.

 

Item 3. Capital Budget

This topic was postponed until next week after the ALC meeting.

 

Item 4. Review of Research Centers

Russ Hunt distributed a chart of the 14 Centers with data on each and reminded the Council that when these were established it was agreed that they would be reviewed in two years to determine their viability.  All as requesting support from the University.  Hunt will break out IDC funds associated with each if any.  Comments from the Council:

  • Expectations of Centers?  Activity of Center is important – writing grant proposals, reports each year
  • Can we get a list of grants and contracts not in the Centers?
  • Auxiliary cost column – add to spreadsheet?
  • Annual report should include student interaction/support, opportunities/research, etc.
  • Showcase Centers to students – pay students to work on projects in Centers
  • Directors of Centers have control over IDC and have discretionary funds they can spend as they please
  • Issue that one of the requirements of a Center is that it must be cross disciplinary but if the Center gets the overhead, not the principles, then the schools connected with the PI wants a portion of the IDC
  • Take portion of all overhead and give to Hunt for future projects, etc.?
  • Develop a pot of money and review occasionally to see how best to spend it – mini grants, etc. to help faculty.
  • All agreed on the following:
  • Expand spreadsheet to identify five bullets that each Center director is responsible for doing
  • Give IDC back in the way of mini grants and asked if the deans would contribute some as well
  • Deans want greater flexibility on spending distance education money – Szafran is agreeable to deans having control over DL money and asked Han to write something up to share with Dawn and Dave, with the agreement that the number one priority will be to spend the money on distance learning education.
  • The non-faculty request list has been submitted to Robin in Budget.
  • Even with professional advisors we are still under-staffed with advisors.
  • Send a list of other things Centers should be doing on an annual basis to Russ Hunt.
  • Deans should be notified that their faculty are submitting grants.  Require a one-page prospectus from the faculty to the dean for each grant before they start working on the grant and have the dean sign an approval form that the faculty take to Russ Hunt as the first step.  All agreed.  Russ will put together a one-page prospectus form for review by the deans and will add Betsy as a signer as well.
  • It was suggested that department chairs need leadership training, web report training, etc., and that the deans and Zvi need a leadership conference as well.

 

The meeting adjourned at 4:15 PM