SPSU Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> DEANS COUNCIL

DEANS COUNCIL

Deans Council Meeting

B-120

April 11, 2012

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

Members:  Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

Members Absent:  

Guests

 

Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

  • Faculty Searches – several are coming to conclusion and some offers are pending.  The ACM dean candidates will be interviewing soon.  Zvi asked Brichaya to remind David Caudill to include interviews with the deans in each itinerary.
  • iPads – The new CIO, Sam Conn, has just released a proposed policy for purchasing iPads.  It was decided that the highest level of approval required should be the deans.
  • Ronny Richardson – and deans of various business schools met recently with the Chancellor and others to discuss some issues.  The Chancellor has some concerns that students are not getting enough exposure to communication skills.  More to follow on this.
  • Summer Pay – the Senate agenda tomorrow will include summer pay.  Han will be attending the meeting to share ideas.  The Committee wants to lower the full-time number from 20 to 18.  Szafran asked the deans to talk to their faculty about the economics associated with summer revenue/expenses and reiterated that he has done numerous things to increase faculty salaries by extra compensation, equity adjustments, etc.  Additionally he reminded the Council that we must have a permanent schedule.  The Council was polled about having a guaranteed minimum at the end of the second enrollment period and if approved the deans must scrutinize their classes for odd declines in numbers.  All were in favor.  The Council was also in favor of lowering the full-time number to 18 for this summer only.  Data will be analyzed after summer semester is over and if there is a surplus, Szafran will move to increase the maximum pay from 30% to the Board of Regents policy maximum of 33%.
  • Tech Fee – the Committee has made recommendations and once approved by Student Government, the CIO, and the VPAA, the results will be released.

 

Item 2. Capital Budget Requests

Tom Currin distributed his list for discussion.

 

Item 3. Outreach Efforts

Zvi will bring financial and personnel support needs for outreach activities that help the University as a whole to Senior Staff.  The discussion focused on if we need to determine if we should even be doing these activities and that we need to have Student Enrollment Services, Marketing, and Public Relations look at how these activities fit in with our strategic plan.  Further we need to determine what our goal is and how we support this across the University.  Comments from the Council:

  • Open houses work
  • Compensation or release time for the coordinators?  Yes, for some in the past
  • Faculty releases for these type of activities potentially hard faculty by taking away from their teaching and research
  • Include faculty in this discussion as it directly impacts them and requires evening and weekend work for no compensation.

Zvi will take these suggestions to Senior Staff and asked the Council to let him know as soon as possible of any non-faculty needs they may have.

 

Item 4. Metrics for the Strategies for Complete College Georgia

Each dean was asked to prepare strategies for improving RPG. 

  • Tom Nelson distributed a handout with his schools recommendations.
  • Steve suggested more mini terms (7-week courses) may not work well for some courses
  • Han suggested tracking problem courses; mandatory tutoring and advising
  • Bill suggested that the summer design workshop is a good filter for students to help those who can’t or don’t decide to go into the program find an alternative path; their advisor teaches SPSU 1001 during the workshop; design foundation – running summer classes for those who fail; faculty are now “career counselors”; ATTIC tutors, etc., being utilized; helping students find paid internships
  • Tom Currin collaborated with Han to come up with ideas – 2 year plan for all students; add second advisor; increase endowed scholarships - base on need; provide work on campus for students in research centers

 

Item 5. New Business

  • Russ Hunt is meeting tomorrow to discuss an Entrepreneurial Center.
  • SPSU 1001 – Sarah Holliday and Becky are working on some new things and want to get the advisors together to go over them.
  • Speaker tomorrow in H 203 at 3:00
  • Financial Aid will only pay to repeat a course one time
  • There will be no more subsidized loans for graduate students
  • Russ Hunt stated that has been told that 17 classrooms will be offline this summer for technical upgrades.  Zvi will check on this.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:30 PM