Deans Council Meeting
February 23, 2012
Note: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these
meetings be excluded from these minutes.
Members: Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills,
Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran
Item 1. Updates
Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:
- Faculty Searches – The Chronicle ad will appear March 9th; no offers may be made to candidates until after March 23, 2012.
- Szafran attended a RACAA meeting recently. Topics included Complete College Georgia.
High emphasis on prior learning assessment. Szafran will also be attending a PLA
(Prior Learning Assessment) workshop on February 27 and 28. The Board of Regents
is fully behind the efforts of these two programs. Other topics discussed included
formula funding, barriers to meeting goals, consolidation of USG institutions, and
new program review which now requires a prospectus before a full proposal is submitted.
An offer has been made to a candidate for the Senior Vice Chancellor position.
- Under-Secretary General from the United Nations will be on campus February 27th. Szafran encourages all faculty, staff, and students to attend the reception at
5:00 P.M. and the talk is at 6:00 P.M. in the Ballroom. This event is sponsored by
the Africa Heritage Center.
- Upcoming events – Book sale – next Wednesday and Thursday; Science Olympiad is next
- Space discussion will be postponed because data is incomplete at this time. Bldg.
K will probably be demolished. May be able to use some end-of-year money to renovate
offices. Szafran is meeting with Robin on Friday to go over the budget and will have
a better idea of what may be available. Russ Hunt stated that Continuing Education
needs to be back on campus or receive funding support. Russ will send Zvi a proposal.
No decision yet from the Board of Regents on whether or not Georgia Highlands will
stay or leave campus.
- M.S. Civil – Prospectus is nearly ready. Szafran wants to also submit Environmental,
and encouraged Nelson to get it to him as soon as possible.
- IRB – motion to approve was affirmative.
Meeting adjourned at 2:50 P.M.