VP of Academic Affairs

» SPSU Home / Vice President Academic Affairs / Meeting Minutes / Deans Council

Deans Council

Deans Council Meeting

B-120

February 8, 2012

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

Members:  Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

 

Members Absent:   Steve Hamrick

 

Guests

 

Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

  • New faculty positions – The list of faculty positions approved for advertising in The Chronicle was distributed, and the Council was asked to identify any errors as soon as possible.  The P&P on faculty hiring needs to be updated – Becky Rutherfoord will work with Quint.
  • MSCE – degree proposal going downtown soon
  • Learning Robot – Hunt announced that our application to test a learning robot was approved.  Eleven countries were selected to test the robot and must share research.
  • ABET – Becky reported that ABET asked about using the IT report as an example of an exemplary report and it was chosen.
  • Autodesk – Autodesk is changing its pricing and we must now purchase a lifetime license which costs $80,000 plus pay an annual maintenance fee of $6,000 per year.  The maintenance fee of $6,000 per year is only guaranteed for three years.  Szafran would like to know of any options that may be available.
  • Nuclear Simulation Software – Currin announced that SPSU will host a workshop for the company that created this software and in exchange we will receive the software package and support and training which will be beneficial for our Nuclear Engineering Minor. 

 

Item 2. Space Allocation Issues

  • We are trying to get a comprehensive list of faculty and staff office spaces and who is occupying them.  Steve Kitchen visited the meeting today to see what he can do to help.  Kitchen stated that his role is to help create additional space as needed if it is possible.  Next fall we expect 18 ½ new faculty hires – some of which are replacements so the actual number of offices needed will be less.  Szafran stated that we need to identify office spaces by May so that they can be cleaned, painted, etc. in time for the new school year.  We must have a prioritized list of needs.  Comments/concerns from the Council:
  • Russ Hunt stated that we need to consider what things may change over the next year that might also impact space issues such as K Building, unfit right now and waiting for Senior Staff to make a decision; Georgia Highlands desire to stay here for another couple of years, etc. 
  • Kitchen stated he is willing to help facilitate getting faculty nearer to where they need to be but will need to know supply and demand and reminded the Council that the BoR must review all costs associated with renovating any space.  Some proposals have been submitted to the BoR but there has been no response to date.
  • Suggested we consider renting space but must take into account cost, feasibility of move, etc.
  • Look at all office use by non-full-time faculty and prioritize.  Student groups should have priority over part-time faculty.
  • Priority should be given in this order:  full-time faculty, full-time temps, student organizations, part-time faculty, and emeritus faculty
  • Look at lab manager’s office space, part-time offices, primarily on-line faculty, give part-time faculty options – move to another building or the library.  Joyce stated that there are security issues associated with having faculty housed in the Library.
  • Pool part-timers together in Building G or another space, possibly Howell
  • Identify other spaces for part-timers
  • Discuss which student groups get space
  • Get a list from Leigh Ann and distribute it to the Council.  Discuss vacating non-full-time faculty, moving Psychology to Howell, relocating part-timers, leave Library alone as well as 3-faculty office spaces.
  • Looking at entire building of Norton being converted to office spaces
  • Enrollment services building being considered
  • No designated faculty spaces in the old Con Ed area – Kitchen will talk to Kasey.

 

Item 3. New Business

  • Shared Services - Dr. Szafran recently attended a Shared Services meeting and reported that the USG remains committed to Shared Services.  The Chancellor has asked two subcommittees to come up with recommendations on whether to keep ADP or not.
  • Change of Major – Currin stated that there are issues with reports for Change of Majors, etc.  This will be discussed at a future meeting when Steve Hamrick is present.
  • Academic Program Review – Becky distributed the P&P for Academic Program Review.  The Board of Regents must review each institution’s policy.  This will be discussed further at a future meeting.  Becky asked the Council to review the P&P and to send suggestions to her by Monday.  After approved by the Council, the P&P will go to the Senate as an FYI and then to Senior Staff for final approval.  Need to discuss approval process for administrative P&Ps at a future meeting.
  • Catalog changes – causing issues as well.  Departments are changing the catalog without oversight from the deans, etc.  Hamrick recommends the deans review all catalog entries.
 ©