VP of Academic Affairs

» SPSU Home / Vice President Academic Affairs / Meeting Minutes / Deans Council

Deans Council

Deans Council Meeting

B-120

January 11, 2012

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

Members:  Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

Members Absent: 

Guests


Item 1. Updates

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

  • P&T - Szafran is evaluating a larger than normal number of faculty promotion and tenure packets this year.  As suggested at the Open Forum held in the Fall, on an annual basis Szafran and the President will send out a list of issues and resolutions that arise from the reviews.
  • SPSU Structural Changes – Szafran welcomed the Dean of the School of Engineering, Tom Currin.  The Division of Engineering officially became the School of Engineering on January 9, 2012.  Civil Engineering Technology has officially moved from the School of Architecture, Civil Engineering Technology, and Construction to the School of Engineering Technology and Management.  The School of ACC will (for now) be called the School of Architecture and Construction Management.
  • TCSG – our articulation is going well with over 200 students enrolled under this agreement.
  • USG Institution Mergers:
    • Middle Georgia and Macon State
    • South Georgia and Waycross
    • North Georgia College and Gainesville
    • Augusta State and Health Science University

This announcement is the first round of consolidations; others may follow.

  • Budget – the Governor released the budget for next year which includes approximately $110,000,000 for formula funding but does not specify how it will be distributed.  No raises were in the budget for next year.
  • Online Programs – Han reported that U.S. News and World Report ranked over 2,000 programs in several categories and ranked the MSIT program at SPSU #1 in student engagement and accreditation.
  • SPSU 1001 – students must now pay for this course due to financial aid requirements. 
  • Renovations - Old I Building – renovation is off to a good start.  Some things will be moved to K1 until it is completed which may be as soon as October.  Server in CSE – not working yet but should be ready soon.  Security Issues – are being addressed in several areas on campus.  Building E – looks nice and is working out well.
  • Space Issue – Russ Hunt reported that ELS students showed up for classes in G 234 and G 235 and there were no desks, etc.  Szafran will follow up on this.
  • Wi-Fi problem in ETC Bldg. – Jim Herbert found a malicious or possible virus in the ETC Building that has been disrupting service.  This may be happening in J Building also.  They are working on removing it.
  • Graduate Students – up to 790 for this spring compared to 705 last spring.  Nikki reported enrollment up for both fall and spring semesters compared to last year.  Accounting had the highest increase in students followed by IT and Software Engineering.
  • Tech Fee – David Stone reported that Tech Fee projects that were approved have been released.  He distributed the classroom technology replenishment list.
  • BAS to BS – can students change from a BAS to a BS?  Yes – requires evaluation of transfer credit and will lose technical block credit.  Hamrick will check to see if we can provide a list of students who have changed from BAS to BS.
  • SPSU 1001 – Becky stated that there are some issues with SPSU 1001 and we will need to talk about it next month. 
  • Comprehensive Program Review Becky and Bob Homer will be bringing a procedure policy to the Council for review.
  • e-Core – Hunt reported portal issues causing some problems in Vista.  Need to get the word out that not all online courses reside in EU – train those answering the main number about where to transfer calls.  Most of the people answering these call report to Gary Bush.  E-Core is up 35%.
  • Data Input Errors – Hamrick reported a continuing issue of data input errors in the course schedule and stated that they were especially bad this semester and the result is that he cannot do the final exam schedule until they are corrected.  (Future agenda item – centralized input of data)
  • Course Overloads – Currin had to overload many courses due to unexpected demand and the large number of last minute students wanting to register.
  • Future Cities – Barnes reported that ACM will take over this event from Dawn Ramsey and that Architecture and Construction Management faculty were fully engaged this year but more volunteers are needed especially from Engineering as this is an engineering initiative.  Arts and Sciences faculty can volunteer as judges as well.  Jeff Ray asked Sylvia Carson to run a story in the media to solicit volunteers from the community to help next year.
  • Intellectual Property Issues and issues with outdated P&Ps.  Hunt suggested we need an in-house lawyer.
  • Book Drive – Joyce Mills is getting a good response to the book drive.
  • CSE Issues – high teaching loads and how to reward these faculty; final exam schedule; and credit by exam – give departments some of the income and incorporate into PLA.  Issues related to credit by exam will be discussed at our next Council meeting.
  • A&S Issues – Jon Lindsay needs replacing; lab fees; course transfer – if course failed here and taken elsewhere, can the student get credit?; native speakers taking language courses here for credit
  • ATTIC – personnel issues may be causing some delays

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:15 PM

 ©