Home >> Vice President Academic Affairs >> Meeting Minutes >> Deans Council

Deans Council

Deans Council Meeting

B-120

October 12, 2011

 

Note:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.

Members:  Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Thomas Nelson, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran

Members Absent:  

GuestsSylvia Carson, Bob Homer

 

Item 1. Updates

  • Comprehensive Program Reviews – Bob Homer attended the RACEA meeting and reported that we may have some issues to deal with.  The Board of Regents has decided that all comprehensive program reviews must be password protected.  He is working with Stephanie Coleman to password protect our data.  He also noted that we must post all responses to our program reviews.  Bob Homer and Becky Rutherfoord are looking at our P&Ps to see if they match what we are actually doing.  Becky will present a draft P&P to the Deans Council.  It was agreed that this should be brought to the attention of Dr. Rossbacher and the Senior Staff.  It was asked what the System Office will be looking for in our five-year plan.  Becky responded that it will be what we want to accomplish in the next five years.  The System Office will be reviewing these and will be checking to see whether or not we are following our procedures and will want to see data to support that we have done what we said we were going to do.
  • Budget – State revenues are up some – may not require the anticipated 2% cut after all
  • University Van – the policy to use the van has changed; contact Arthur Vaughn if you need to reserve the van.
  • Space Allocation – the policy for remodeling/renovating space has now been posted – must work with Facilities and IT to start any project.
  • Library – the chiller is still out in the Library

 

Item 2. Dealing With Outreach Activities

Szafran talked about the growth of some of our outreach activities, citing Future Cities as the major one, and the need to find support for those who have the responsibility to run these programs.  The School of ACC has agreed to take over Future Cities and Dawn has agreed to help transition this over to them.  Szafran asked the Council how we can continue to build sustainable programs without burdening the same people.  After a lengthy discussion, the following were agreed on:

  • No funding is available at this time to hire an outreach coordinator.
  • Dave Caudill will get a list of all outreach activities and contact the principles for data.
  • The Council will assess each outreach project and determine how large a support system each will need from campus.
  • The Council will determine which projects Academic Affairs should be involved with and support and with projects should be supported by other units on campus.
  • Each activity should have a business plan and involve Industry Advisory Board members.
  • Supporting these activities is considered “service” to the University.
  • Sarah Holliday has agreed to take Bob Brown’s place as director of the QEP.

 

Item 3. e-Core

Szafran asked the Council if our strategy should be to start moving SPSU students away from e-Core to our own equivalent courses.  The Council discussed this and following are comments:

  • Need to develop our own “e-Core”
  • Target should be 10% on line courses
  • Need these courses for the for TCSG students
  • e-Core is profitable – more expensive then live but less than distance
  • e-Core pays more to faculty than some departments do so this could be an incentive to develop an online equivalent and pay the instructor what e-Core would pay
  • We need to develop a medium and long-range plan and start with a small number of courses and see how that goes.  All agreed to keep e-Core for now.

 

Item 4. Evaluation of Part-time & Temporary Faculty

Szafran reminded the Council about our new policy and distributed a copy from last year of the form they all agreed to use.

The CTE is running workshops to help faculty with reappointment, promotion/tenure, etc. and had a good turn-out at the first workshop.

 

Item 5. SPSU 1001

Szafran stated that after running the numbers of new freshmen from last spring (34) there will probably not be large cohorts for this spring and asked the Council where they are with the new policy to handle registering students.  The response was that they are still working on this, and that they need training and retention data.  Becky will get this information and share with the Council.  The QEP committee needs to get together and work out some of these issues/details.  It was also suggested that deans and chairs and others who need it should be given access to data (crystal reports, etc.) in read-only access.  The deans asked for a solid policy about how to handle the QEP and want to know if it is working.

 

Item 6. New Business

  • Hamrick announced that approximately one-third of the courses for spring semester are not yet in Banner.  Ad Astra may be a point of contention for Academic Affairs and suggested we bring Kasey Helton to our next meeting of the Deans Council to discuss possibilities and procedures. 
  • We need a time study done on classroom usage.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:20 P.M.