Deans Council Meeting
May 18, 2011
Note: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.
Members: Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Alan Gabrielli, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran
Item 1. Updates
Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:
- Budget - Governor vetoed $40 million in construction projects submitted by the Legislature not the USG. No money for raises
- New Programs - Biotechnology and Environmental Science program edits are complete. Gabrielli is working on the budget for them. ACC is working on two new programs and Division of Engineering has one in the works. Szafran stated there are some questions from the System Office regarding current proposals at the Board of Regents. These are scheduled for the June agenda.
- UTEACH Conference – Dempsey, Szafran, Gabrielli, Stickel and Patterson are attending this next week. They are preparing a grant for our proposed education program. George Stickel accepted the open position in Education. Szafran announced several other faculty have accepted positions and others are pending.
- SPSU budget – Zvi is working out some inconsistencies and issues. Second round of year-end purchases have been released – departmental requests are being held by Bonnie pending clarification of actual budget numbers. Final decision on end of year money will be done on Friday for the University and Academic Affairs. Other priorities in addition to departmental requests include renovations to Building E & I and the computing center.
- There is a hold on major changes to space – i.e. moving walls or electrical, networking, etc.
- System Office wants a report regarding the effects of the budget cuts from each USG institution. Szafran stated that SPSU’s response was that 15 faculty and 7 staff positions went unfilled because of the cuts.
- Security issues with Building Q and the Library.
- DegreeWorks will go live on June 6. Steve Hamrick gave a brief update and suggested incorporating training for students on the new software into SPSU 1001. Steve will send out the link to the deans and advisors. Catalog updates are being done also. New degree programs need to be added to the catalog.
- Space continues to be an issue – need offices for new faculty. Georgia Highlands has space issues as well. A lengthy discussion on space needs followed.
- Nikki Palamiotis talked about the new online application software and stated that it is a work in progress and bugs are being worked out. The new procedure for hiring graduate assistants will go live July 1.
- Advisors – it was asked what advisors may approve/sign off on. Jeff Orr will be meeting with the advisors soon and will bring information back to the Council for further discussion.
Meeting adjourned at 3:40 P.M.