Deans Council Meeting
May 4, 2011
Note: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.
Members: Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Alan Gabrielli, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran
Item 1. Updates
Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:
- Summer meeting schedule – Szafran proposed every other week for Deans Council and one ALC mid-July. Deans approved.
- Retreat – beginning of August; date TBD
- Compensation issue – extra compensation for multi-format courses. Much discussion about pros and cons, consistency and fairness. What is a full class? Discussed a particular issue that needs to be limited in the future. This topic needs to be addressed at the retreat.
- Related – another extra comp for a dean (or similar situation) how is something defined as outside duties? 1) anything not a regularly assigned duty, 2) clearly not normal, 3) funded from outside, and 4) not during normal hours.
- DR’s – updated list. Additional spending defined - $550,000 approved
- Dean of Arts & Sciences – discussion of candidates, academic deans met after to relay confidential opinions.
Meeting adjourned at 4:00 P.M.