Deans Council Meeting
April 20, 2011
Note: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in these meetings be excluded from these minutes.
Members: Bill Barnes, Dave Caudill, Tom Currin, Alan Gabrielli, Steve Hamrick, Ruston Hunt, Joyce Mills, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeffrey Ray, Han Reichgelt, Zvi Szafran
Item 1. Updates
Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:
- Tuition increase – 3% plus $100 additional fee per semester
- New programs – no opposition so far from any of the University System of Georgia institutions on the proposals at the Board of Regents. Several more are almost ready for submission to the Board of Regents.
- Capital Items – first round of requests have been submitted and are in process.
- Ethics Training – part two will begin soon
- Searches – Szafran is missing some Forms D and is prioritizing hires based on our projected budget.
- Advisor Training – most faculty have taken the mandatory advisor training – only a few remaining faculty need to sign up.
- Replenishment Computers – questions about this have been referred to Ron Koger. IT is not allowing the purchase of iPads at this time. Szafran stated that he hopes to see lessening of restrictions on EDP approvals for small items such as flash drives and for purchases of iPads, etc.
- Work Orders for Facilities – because of some recent problems, changes are coming in the approval process for work orders that modify any structure on campus, such as classrooms.
- Graduate Assistants – what should they be used for and how should they be allocated? It was decided to table the discussion and continue at a future meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 3:12 P.M.