ALC Meeting, March 30, 2011
Academic Leadership Council Minutes
Student Center Ballroom
March 30, 2011
NOTE: At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in meetings be excluded from these minutes.
ALC MEMBERS: Robert Glenn Allen, Austin Asgill, Tom Ball, Bill Barnes, Richard Bennett, Renee Butler, David Caudill, Lance Crimm, Tom Currin, Venu Dasigi, Ameen Farooq, Alan Gabrielli, Steven Hamrick, Bob Homer, Ruston Hunt, Sonny Kim, Andrew McMorran, Joyce Mills, Julie Newell, Mark Nunes, Ilseok Oh, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Phil Patterson, Dawn Ramsey, Jeffrey Ray, Nancy Reichert, Han Reichgelt, Ronny Richardson, Richard Ruhala, Becky Rutherfoord, Khalid Siddiqi, Denise Stover, John Sweigart, Zvi Szafran, Andy Wang, and Tim Zeigler
MEMBERS ABSENT: Dawn Ramsey, Denise Stover
Item 1. Updates
Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:
- Discussion series was successful – captured on video
- Budget – news is a little better. Some deductions have disappeared. All reductions are pretty much set and we’re prepared for them. No capital projects for us. In year 6, we have design money.
- New Degree Programs – the Board of Regents has lengthened the review process for new degrees to two months (from one month). Five programs are in the process of review there.
- Searches – near to making decisions – need to talk with the new CFO
- Graduate School Allocations – allocation of funds – currently using old formulas, need to update process
- Building Renovations – will take priority for University end-of-year money. Khalid Siddiqi reminded Dr. Szafran not to forget Building H.
- STEM Grant – was not re-funded – some transition money will be available. The mini-grants and the outreach coordinator will not be funded.
Item 1. Audio/Visual Issues
Music, video, audio/visual checkout, etc. – need a full-time temp to work audio/visual and a committee to work on a/v issues. Student and Enrollment Services will contribute some money. Szafran asked what guidance the Council might have for the committee. Siddiqi remarked that Construction gave up the space. Szafran asked what the support needs are from the departments. Richardson responded that it is not an equipment issue but a time issue – need people to help not equipment/rooms. Patterson responded that video conferencing would be nice. Nunes responded access to whatever “IT” is – not behind closed doors. Also need to broaden our thinking into using what we have. Szafran suggested sending committee nominations to David Stone – they will attempt to develop a policy and “home” it in ETCMA.
Item 2. Strategic Plan for Distance Learning
David Stone distributed a handout and gave a brief summary. A discussion ensued and a debate about the viability of hybrid teaching. Various departments offered experiences of teaching on-line. Labs are an on-going problem. Consensus was it is a reasonable plan. Send comments directly to Dave Stone.
Item 3. Allocation and use of Graduate Students
We spend about $200,000 per year now on graduate assistantship stipends for research, tutoring, lab management, grading, administrative, etc. This amount has not changed lately and is not consistent department to department. Szafran asked how we should decide how much money goes to each department. Gabrielli suggested naming a percentage of students who should get support. Reichgelt suggested using the current amount to calculate a reasonable number – 6% of population would get it. Nikki stated that graduate assistantships should be used for recruitment. Rutherfoord suggested we look to what other schools do. Nikki said a survey revealed we are low in several ways. Dasigi suggested using graduate assistants in other divisions. Nikki suggested off-site assistantships – like internships. Rutherfoord agreed with using assistantships for recruitment. The consensus was to offer a few assistantships to highly qualified recruits.
Item 4. Academic Events Coordination
Committee? Consensus was that it can’t be done. Siddiqi suggested a clearinghouse. Caudill suggested using Leigh Ann and Charlie. Budget is a problem in scheduling things. Use a construction management graduate student and put them with Leigh Ann. Szafran agreed to pay for a graduate student stipend.
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 P.M.