VP of Academic Affairs

» SPSU Home / Vice President Academic Affairs / Meeting Minutes / ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP COUNCIL



Academic Leadership Meeting Minutes

May 1, 2013

Ballroom A


NOTE:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in meetings be excluded from these minutes.


ALC MEMBERS:  Austin Asgill, Tom Ball, Sam Beadles, Renee Butler, David Caudill, Richard Cole, Lance Crimm, Tom Currin, Meg Dillon, Ameen Farooq, Alan Gabrielli, Stephen Hamrick, Bob Homer, Ruston Hunt, Andrew McMorran, Yongli Ma, Thomas Nelson, Julie Newell, Mark Nunes, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Phil Patterson, Hassan Pournaghshband, Dawn Ramsey, Jeffrey Ray, Nancy Reichert, Han Reichgelt, Ronny Richardson, Becky Rutherfoord, Khalid Siddiqi, George Stickel, David Stone, Denise Stover, Mark Sugalski, John Sweigart, Zvi Szafran, and Tim Zeigler


MEMBERS ABSENT:   David Caudill, Lance Crimm, Yongli Ma, Nikki Palamiotis, Jeff Ray, Denise Stover, John Sweigart, and Tim Zeigler


GUESTS:  Aaron Fowler and Kasey Helton, Auxiliary Services



Item 1. Approval of Minutes


The March 27, 2013, Academic Leadership Council Minutes were approved.



Item 2. Transportation Planning/Parking Strategies


Aaron Fowler and Kasey Helton visited the Academic Leadership Council meeting today.  Aaron did a presentation and talked about parking issues and future initiatives and plans to reduce residential parking and increase alternative ways for students, faculty and staff to commute to campus and reduce parking issues.  Items already in place or soon to come to help address these issues include:


  • Trolley for campus students – already in place
  • Zip car – looking at for next fall; would be available for rent by the hour for $9.00 per hour including gas
  • Increased access to transit
  • Looking at having registered lots – starting in June (goal)
  • Willingness to work with chairs and deans to find parking for new faculty hires


Comments from the Council:


  • Handicapped spaces do not appear evenly distributed and are heavily clustered in some lots.
  • How do you enforce violators?  Aaron responded that they will continue to enforce and are now looking at using an outside company that can utilize DMV records to identify car owners.
  • There are safety issues around Lot 36 that need to be looked at.
  • Special event days mean parking is unavailable for many students.
  • Aaron stated that they are willing to come back anytime to address additional questions or issues.



Item 3.  Updates


Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:


  • Registrar – Steve Hamrick is retiring and has been replaced by Jill Brady.  Steve introduced her to the Council.  Jill will be attending the Academic Leadership Council and Extended Deans Council meetings.
  • Nancy Reichert is stepping down as Honors Director and returning to teaching exclusively and is being replaced by Iraj Omidvar.  Zvi thanked Nancy for her years of service as the Honors Director.
  • Director of International Programs – funding has been approved to make this position full time with no teaching responsibilities.  Tom Nelson will chair the search committee.
  • Budget – the tuition increase for SPSU will be 2 ½% - other USG institutions received between 2 ½ and 7%.  There will be no raises for faculty and staff for FY 2014.  Additionally, SPSU received $560,000 for new faculty hires, $300,000 for IT support, and $100,000 for academic advisors for CSE and Engineering.  Money has been allocated to hire an accounting finance person just to manage accounts for Academic Affairs in the Budget Office.
  • End of Year Process – Szafran urged everyone to get their spending done as time is running out.  He needs departmental requests as soon as possible and needs for them to be complete.
  • New Positions – many of the faculty positions are closing and critical hires have been passed on the President for approval.  He assured the Council that as soon as the President approves the paperwork he contacts the candidates with an offer.  This is his top priority.
  • Retirements, Resignations, etc. – Szafran reminded the Council about the importance of notifying the VPAA’s Office about retirements and resignations as soon as possible.  The VPAA’s Office will also need a list of faculty submitting packets for promotion and/or tenure at the beginning of each fall semester so that we will know which packets to be looking for.  This year a faculty member came up for early tenure and we were not aware of it so did not realize the packet did not reach our office.
  • Emeritus Faculty – nominations for Emeritus faculty should be submitted to our office in the early part of spring semester so that Szafran has time to prepare the necessary paperwork and get the President’s approval in time for presentation at the service awards in April.  Again, the VPAA’s Office would like a list of faculty being nominated for emeritus be submitted as soon as possible so that they will know to be looking for the nomination packets.
  • Town Hall – last week’s town hall meeting was mostly attended by staff and very few faculty.  Szafran stated that his goal is to have more open forums in the future with time for open dialog.  Many of the questions were related to misconceptions about raises – no raises were given unless their jobs changed or in the case of faculty promotions.
  • Psychology program was just approved for an honors chapter.
  • Student Awards Ceremony – Szafran encouraged the departments to give annual student awards and stated that if funding is a problem to let him know.
  • ECON 2107 – according to Hamrick this course is not approved as a core course and will be removed from the catalog.
  • Environmental Programs – these will be on the May Board of Regents agenda.  Zvi, Tom Nelson, and Jeff Ray will attend the meeting.
  • Summer Camp Policy – draft was distributed for review.  The major purpose of this is to protect the University from liability and mostly applies to unaccompanied minors on campus.  Alana can provide information to anyone needing further clarification about the policy.  Szafran encouraged the Council to share this policy with their faculty.
  • Workload Document – discussed the workload policy and Szafran stated that if egregious to the faculty member bring the details to the Deans Council for review and it will be documented.  It was asked if there is a minimum number of students required to run a class.  Szafran responded that he leaves it up to department’s discretion.  Those teaching double or triple sections balance those with lower numbers in their other classes.  Szafran also talked about how formula funding worked in the past and that we no longer receive this type of formula funding.  A concern was expressed that core faculty are paid less and teach more than other faculty.  Tuition for all classes is the same and it appears the core subsidizes the rest of the University.  It also appears students are going elsewhere to take core classes cheaper thereby reducing revenue for the University and this can potentially become a real problem.  There has been a decline in the summer enrollments in core classes, both online and live.  Szafran responded that we must offer online classes competitively and that we are working on the infrastructure to support this.



Item 4.  New Business


  • Need the faculty annual evaluation form – not attached to the P&P.
  • Over $100,000 in extra comp requests will be going through for signatures.  Please sign as soon as possible so they can be paid by the deadline for using this year’s budget.
  • New faculty orientation – will be August 7, 8, and 9th.
  • Military Task Force – is accepting donated books for use by military students in the future.  Dawn will be sending out an email in the near future and is encouraging all to donate.  Additionally, she is seeking permission to have a place setting in Stingers for lost or deployed soldiers.  This will be something simple with an explanation.



Action Items




Future Agenda Items



Meeting adjourned at 4:20 PM.