Faculty Activity Archive 2011
- December 7, 2011: Omar Zia (Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology) selected to serve on Fulbright Committee
- November 30, 2011: Nancy Reichert, Ann Parker (both English, Technical Communication and Media Arts), and William Griffiths (Mathematics) represent SPSU at National Collegiate Honors Council meeting
- November 30, 2011: Misty York (English, Technical Communication and Media Arts) coaches Speech Team to victories
- November 16, 2011: Richard Ruhala and Laura Ruhala (Engineering) present stadium horn research
- November 16, 2011: Jeff Chastine (Computer Science and Software Engineering) and CSWE Department receive software donation
- November 16, 2011: Glenn Allen (Engineering) awarded Emeritus Professor at new robot reception
- October 26, 2011: SPSU student team wins 1st place in statewide business competition; Don Ariail, Joyce McGriff, Greg Quinet, and Sandra Vasa-Sideris (all Business Administration) advisors to team.
- October 26, 2011: Mine Hashas (Architecture) and architecture students participate in urban design workshop in Turkey, produce exhibition at SPSU
- October 26, 2011: Jon Preston and Jeff Chastine (Computer Science) coordinate SPSU's 6th Annual Game Jam
- October 26, 2011: Robert Tango (Architecture) represents SPSU at GlassBuild Convention
- October 21, 2011: Diedre Hodges (Engineering) awarded NSF BRIGE Grant
- October 12, 2011: Deidra Hodges (Engineering) and students involved in energy research at EPA
- October 12, 2011: Edwin Akins (Architecture) featured on AIA website
- October 5, 2011: Thomas Rotnem (Social and International Studies) selected as SPSU Teacher of the Year
- October 5, 2011: David Stone (Office of Faculty Support and Development) and Mark Nunes (English, Technical Communication and Media Arts) chosen for Executive Leadership Institute
- October 5, 2011: Amy Coughenour (Library) organizes exhibit on Banned Books at L.V. Johnson Library
- September 28, 2011: John Mench (Construction Management) and student team help elementary school earn LEED Certification
- September 21, 2011: Thomas Nisley (Social and International Studies) leads SPSU participation in 7th Constitution Day
- September 14, 2011: Mechatronics Engineering program receives $4.5M donation of Kawasaki Robots
- September 14, 2011: Center for Applied Gaming hosts Game Jam
- September 14, 2011: Jeffery Orr (ATTIC), Jenny Brown (Housing), and George Stickel (Education) chosen for CEC Leadership Academy
- August 31, 2011: Faculty and staff earn accreditation for Construction Engineering program
- August 31, 2011: Becky Rutherfoord (Information Technology) appointed as Associate Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness
- August 31, 2011: John Mench (Construction Management) wins Randolph E. (Buddy) Williams Award, Student Chapter wins Chapter of the Year Award from ASHRAE
- August 26, 2011: Fatih Oncul (Civil Engineering Technology), Wasim Barham (Civil Engineering) and Metin Oguzmert (Civil Engineering) oversee humanitarian Rubble House Project
- August 24, 2011: Chan Ham (Engineering) appointed program director for Mechatronics Engineering Program.
- August 24, 2011: Carol Barnum (English, Technical Communication & Media Arts) appointed to EyeGuide advisory board
- August 17, 2011: Chih-Cheng Hung will serve as advisory chair for the Fifth International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences
- August 10, 2011: Chih-Cheng Hung and Dr. Patrick Bobbie (Computer Science) reach out to local schools with robotics
- August 10, 2011: Mahmoud Ghavi (Systems Engineering) announces program plans to offer nuclear engineering courses
- August 3, 2011: Venu Dasigi (Computer Science); Tim Zeigler and Carlos Ortiz (Civil Engineering Technology); Tom Currin (Engineering); and Becky Rutherfoord (Information Technology) recognized for work by ABET
- July 20, 2011: Tom Nelson (Arts & Sciences) starts as Dean
- July 20, 2011: Phil Patterson (Physics) appears on Channel 11 to talk about the physics of hot weather
- July 20, 2011: Kathryn Morgan and Derrick Sterling begin as instructional designers
- July 14, 2011: George Stickel (Education) and colleagues receive $1.4 Million U-Teach Grant
- July 13, 2011: Wasim Barham (Civil Engineering) is directing a summer camp in Civil Engineering
- June 24, 2011: David Veazie (Mechanical Engineering Technology) awarded $450,000 Air Force Scientific Research Grant
Publications by or about SPSU Faculty
- Chih-Cheng Hung (Computer Science): “A New Weighted Fuzzy C-Means Clustering Algorithm for Remotely Sensed Image Classification”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing.
- Chih-Cheng Hung (Computer Science): “Semi-Supervised Multi-Class by Exploiting Unlabeled Data”, Journal of Expert Systems and Applications.
- Kai Qian (Computer Science) with graduate student Daniel Moreau: Java Web Development with NetBeans IDE, Linus Publishing
- Khalid Siddiqi (Construction Management): “Indoor Air Quality Impact on HVAC Costs”, Conference Proceedings of Construction in the Twenty-First Century: Construction Challenges in the New Decade
- Beth Stutzmann (Music): “Stutzmann Revolutionizes Jewish Day School Music Ed”, Atlanta Jewish Times.
- Mark Nunes (Media Arts): “This is Not a Blog Hoax: Narrative ‘Provocations’ in a Participatory Media Culture”, in Explorations in Media Ecology, the quarterly journal of the Media Ecology Association. Also, “Seductive Errors: A Poetics of Noise” in the book Net Works: Case Studies in Web Art and Design, edited by xtine Burrough and published by Routledge.
- Dr. Chih-Cheng Hung (Computer Science): “Multiple Costs Based Decision Making with Back-Propagation Neural
Networks”, Decision Support Systems
- Dr. M. A. Karim (Engineering) “CEHIXM Extraction of Metals from Soils and Sediments”, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center Waterways Experiment Station Environmental Laboratory, Vicksburg, Miss
- Dr. M. Sajjad Mayeed (Engineering) “Replenishment of Ultrathin Liquid Perfluoropolyether Z Films on Solid Surfaces”, at the American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. Also, “Finite Element Thermal/Mechanical Analysis for Microscale Laser Joining of Ultrathin Coatings of Titanium on Glass/Polyimide System,” in the Journal of Materials: Design and Applications.
- Dr. Sung-Hee (Sonny) Kim and Prof. Sam Beadles (Engineering) “Flexible Pavement Analysis Considering Temperature Profile and Anisotropy Behavior in Hot Mix Asphalt Layer,” in the Open Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2.
- Dr. Edward Jung and Dr. Chih Cheng Hung (Computer Science and Software Engineering) with two external colleagues, “A Unified Design Method Utilizing Decomposability and Composability for Secure Systems.” in the Proceedings of the Association for Computing Machinery’s Research in Applied Computation Symposium.
- Dr. Ming Yang (Information Technology) “Optimization of Power Allocation in Multimedia Wireless Sensor Networks,” in the Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Networks and Computing.
- Dr. Bill Diong (Engineering) "The dynamic response of Direct Methanol Fuel Cells (DMFCs)", International Conference on Power and Energy Systems and Applications.
- Dr. M.A. Karim (Engineering) “Effect of the Secondary Electrode Configuration in Removing Metal
Contaminants from Soils by the CEHIXM Process,” in the International journal of Soil
and Sediment Contaminants
- Pamela Frinzi (Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology), promoted to full professor
- Keith Hopper (English, Technical Communication & Media Arts) promoted to full professor
- Thomas Nisley (Political Science) promoted to associate professor and tenured
- Mark Nunes (English, Technical Communication & Media Arts) promoted to full professor
- Ilseok Oh (Engineering), promoted to associate professor and tenured
- Ermal Shpuza (Architecture), promoted to associate professor and tenured
- Rajnish Singh (Biology, Chemistry & Physics), promoted to associate professor and tenured
- Mark Sugalski (Biology, Chemistry & Physics), tenured
- Glenn Allen (Engineering), honored as professor emeritus