Next Steps for Accepted Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to Southern Polytechnic State University! At this point, you are probably wondering what to do next. Below is a checklist that will allow you to have a seamless transition into SPSU!
1. Get connected. Set-up your brand new SPSU email account by clicking here. You'll also need to get your student ID and familiarize yourself with BannerWeb. (Click here to look up your ID to gain BannerWeb access.) If you need assistance, please call (678) 915-HELP.
2. Verify lawful presence. All students applying for in-state tuition must verify lawful presence in the United States.
3. Apply for Housing. You'll want to make sure that you have your Housing application and deposit turned in by late-April. Space fills up quickly, so don't wait! (Contracts initially go out in May and must be returned promptly.) To apply, visit the Housing and Residence Life page where you can complete the entire application online.
4. Financial Aid. Apply for Financial Aid - complete the FAFSA during January and February. The FAFSA priority deadline is March 1 and Financial Aid awards go out in May.
5. Register for Journey Orientation. Every student is required to attend new student orientation prior to beginning their first semester here at Southern Poly. At Journey Orientation*, you will meet with your academic adviser, learn about student clubs and organizations, get your Student ID and parking sticker, interact with the Journey Orientation Leaders, and buy your textbooks. It's your opportunity to learn about everything that SPSU has to offer!
*Architecture students - learn about the Architecture Design Workshop that is mandatory for all new Architecture students.
7. Take the Math Advisory Test (if needed). The Math Advisory Test (MAT) is used to evaluate a student’s competency level in the areas of College Algebra and Trigonometry. The results are then used to place students in an appropriate starting point in SPSU’s mathematics sequence.All students who have not received credit from SPSU’s Registrars Office for College Algebra (Math 1111) or Precalculus (Math 1113) are required to take the MAT for placement. Credit for courses can come by transfer, CLEP, or AP scores.
Students should take the MAT prior to registering for any math course at SPSU. If a student is required to take the MAT, no registration for a math course at SPSU will be possible until the MAT requirement has been met.
For more information and to view the MAT test dates, please click here.
8. Final transcripts. Request FINAL transcripts to be sent to SPSU once you have graduated; you cannot register for classes at orientation if we have not received your final transcript.