Regents' Testing Program
The University System of Georgia requires that all students obtaining a degree must meet minimum reading and writing skills. Students enrolled in an undergraduate baccalaureate degree program leading to a degree must meet the Regents' Reading and Writing Skills requirements to graduate.
All incoming Freshmen and transfer students must test in their first semester at SPSU if not exempted. Students needing to test will take the tests each semester until they pass.
There are three ways to satisfy the Regents' requirements:
- Take and pass the Regents' Tests
- Transfer in a passing test score from another USG school
- Exempt them as outlined below:
Students may exempt the Regents' Reading test/classes by scoring at or above specified scores on the following examinations:
- Regents' Reading Test exemption score: 61
- SAT-I Verbal exemption score: 510
- ACT Reading exemption score: 23
Students may exempt the Regents' Writing test/class by scoring at or above specified scores on the following examinations:
- Regents' Essay Test exemption score: 2
- College Board Advanced Placement (AP) English Language and Composition exemption score: 3
- College Board Advanced Placement (AP) English Literature and Composition exemption score: 3
- International Baccalaureate (IB) higher-level English exemption score: 4
- SAT II English Writing exemption score: 650
- SAT Reasoning Test, Writing Section exemption score: 560 (effective Spring 2007)
- A score of at least 24 on the ACT Combined English/Writing exam
- A score of at least 22 on the ACT Combined English/Writing for students who also earned an ACT Reading score of at least 23
- SAT Reasoning, Writing Section Test: 500 for students who also have at least 510 on the SAT Reasoning, Critical Reading Section.
The following are NOT available for students entering the system Summer 2008 or later:
- SAT - I Verbal score of at least 530 and a grade of "A" in English 1101, or
- SAT - I Verbal score of at least 590 and a grade of "B" in English 1101, or
- ACT English score of at least 23 and a grade of "A" in English 1101, or
- ACT English score of at least 26 and a grade of "B" in English 1101
(SAT or ACT scores must be from a national administration. Scores from institutional SAT or residual ACT tests will not be acceptable for this purpose.)
It is highly recommended that students visit the Regent's web site at www.gsu.edu/rtp. Here, students will find advice on how to write successful essays, how NOT to write failing essays, and how to see a complete list of current Regents' writing test topics.
Students may also visit the ATTIC Tutoring Center for assistance.