SafeZone is a campus-wide initiative offering a visible message of inclusion, acceptance,
and support to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) individuals
in the university community. The program offers participants an interactive three-hour
orientation to raise awareness and knowledge of GLBTQ issues and to suggest ways to
serve as an Ally to GLBTQ individuals. Following the orientation, participants receive
a SAFE SPACE decal to display in their work or living space.
By displaying the SafeZone decal, ally administrators, faculty, staff, and students
identify themselves as safe, educated, and aware people and pledge to:
- Strive toward continued development, learning, awareness, and action, and to search
for further ways of understanding GLBTQ individuals.
- Promote an environment where members of the GLBTQ community do not have to censor
- Promote an atmosphere where members of the GLBTQ community can participate fully,
equally, and openly in campus life without fear of discrimination and/or harassment.
- Promote a safe and affirming place for GLBTQ people by offering an atmosphere and
personal relationship of respect, fairness, and trust.
- Serve as a resource of information for students, faculty, and staff having questions
about GLBTQ issues, and be willing to refer students to support and resources on campus
and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality.