Current SLEP Students and Faculty Member Pat Pierce Recruit New Members at the SPSU Journey Orientations
Are you ready to gain the following:
- Leadership experience?
- Communication skills?
- A willingness to make a difference?
Top 10 Things Employers Look For in New College Graduates
- The ability to work well in teams—especially with people different from yourself
- An understanding of science and technology and how these subjects are used in real-world settings
- The ability to write and speak well
- The ability to think clearly about complex problems
- The ability to analyze a problem to develop workable solutions
- An understanding of global context in which work is now done
- The ability to be creative and innovative in solving problems
- The ability to apply knowledge and skills in new settings
- The ability to understand numbers and statistics
- A strong sense of ethics and integrity
Source: "How Should Colleges Prepare Students to Succeed in Today's Global Economy?"
(Results of a national poll by Peter D. Hart Research Associates, 2007).
This list is a skill set within your reach--all you have to do is 'Take a SLEP forward' and apply. Below is an outline of some of the benefits of enrolling in the program.
Applicants will be guaranteed admission to SLEP if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Incoming freshmen with 0 credit hours of college work, who have earned at least a 2.0 high school GPA.
- Students with 15 hours or more of college-level work who have earned at least a 2.0 college GPA.
Students should have no record of academic dishonesty for their college studies, and they should ideally have fewer than 60 credit hours so they have time to complete the program.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the SLEP program students will be able to do the following:
- Students will gain knowledge of self and others in relationship to leadership styles.
- Students will analyze the importance of communication skills, including, but not limited to, oral, written, face-to-face, and technologically-mediated communication.
- Students will utilize the above skills in order to enhance communication with team members and/or community members.
- Students will develop active listening skills through participation in various communication activities and exercises.
- Students will practice organizational teambuilding skills and processes through service opportunities in order to understand the nuts and bolts of leadership.
Student Benefits Gained From the SLEP Program
Students who complete the SLEP program will benefit from having completed the program in many ways. The most tangible benefit will be the electronic portfolio and co-curricular resume that students will complete for their SLEP capstone class, the electronic portfolio class. Students will be able to share these items with potential employers. This benefit will be reinforced by having the endorsement title placed on the transcript and by receiving SLEP cords to wear at SPSU' s graduation ceremony. Students will also find that SLEP has provided them with opportunities to meet people they can use as references and, as part of their network of communication.