SPSU Recreational Sports - Sustainability
The Recreational Sports Department and the Recreation and Wellness Center are committed to developing sustainable methods in all operations of programs and facilities. We strive to produce less waste/pollution and are committed to using our financial, human, and physical resources in a responsible manner.
What we're doing!
1. Recreational Sports staff are working hard to create a 100% trash free office environment. The offices within the Department are committed to a stringent recycling program.
2. This year we will be resurfacing the Recreation & Wellness Center basketball courts, racquetball courts, and fitness room with a water base finish as opposed to the oil base finish we have been using for years. A water base finish emits less VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) gases compared to oil base.
- Water based coating typically have half as much VOC content as the traditional Oil Modified Urethane (OMU).
- Water based finishes produce less odor than OMU's.
- OMU's contain petroleum distillates, which are combustible or flammable. Water based finishes are not combustible nor flammable
- Mineral spirits or solvents are needed to clean applicators or accidental spills when using OMU's. Rags and other materials that have residue from OMU's on them must be stored in safety containers to prevent spontaneous combustion.
3. We will be installing new drinking stations in the Recreation & Wellness Center to replace the current drinking fountains. These stations will make refilling your reusable water bottle much easier.
4. We are creating a new high visibility Recycling Center in the Recreation & Wellness Center.