Chair MessageMESSAGE FROM THE DEPARTMENT HEAD – Dr. Philip Patterson
Thank you for your interest in the Physics Degree Program offering at Southern Polytechnic State University (SPSU). The faculty within the Physics Department continues to improve existing degree offerings, while embarking upon new and exciting endeavors.
As one of the oldest academic disciplines, the study of physics involves the study of matter, motion, energy and force in order to comprehend the behavior of the universe. Our program seeks to educate our students in the areas of related natural phenomena on the basis of our mission statement listed below:
• to provide high quality instruction in physics service courses at the undergraduate level.
• to provide the physics majors with a thorough grounding in the basic principles of physics
• to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for life long learning,
• to provide a supportive work environment for students, staff and faculty.
• to provide students with an understanding of the contributions of science to our culture.
• to provide service to the community, university and profession.
• to provide advising to students.
Consistent with our mission, SPSU offers a variety of concentrations within the BS curriculum to prepare our students for post-undergraduate options. We offer the traditional BS degree in physics that prepares students to work as physicists or to attend graduate programs in physics.
The newly offered concentrations in physics are: 1) BS degree in Physics with a concentration in Electrical Engineering and 2) BS degree in Physics with a concentration in Mechanical Engineering. These new courses of study will provide the graduate with the flexibility to attend graduate school in physics, or to enter the workforce as an engineer.
Students earning degrees in physics with an engineering concentration commonly design and manufacture:
• Nano- and micro-devices.
• Micro-electro-mechanical systems
• Mechatronic devices
• Photonic systems
• Nuclear engineering and energy systems
SPSU also offers a BS degree in Physics with a concentration in Physics Education. This program will prepare and supply qualified physics teachers to meet the current and anticipated shortage of high school physics teachers.
Please take the time to browse our website. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact as follows:
• 678.915.7215 Office Phone