Access, Use and Handling
Archives and Special Collections materials are often fragile in page or binding, and represent unique and primary source items that are difficult or impossible to replace. Please follow the policies below to ensure the preservation of our collections.
- Archives and Special Collections materials do not circulate. All materials must be used within the archives reading room under staff supervision.
- Researchers are required to sign in each day that they visit Archives and Special Collections.
- First-time visitors must present identification (current university ID for students, faculty, and staff; photo ID for others).
- Personal belongings (backpacks, purses, coats, etc.) must be stored separately during visits and are subject to inspection upon leaving.
- Drinks and food are not allowed in Archives and Special Collections.
Use and Handling
- Storage areas are closed stacks and are not browsable; staff will locate material and deliver it for researcher use inside the reading room.
- Staff will provide a limited number of materials at a time to researchers. When the researcher has finished with those materials, staff will replace them with additional materials as requested.
- Pencils, blank paper, and personal digital devices (cameras, laptops, phones, etc.) are the only items approved for use inside the reading room.
- Hands must be clean and dry. Users may be asked to wear gloves provided for certain materials.
- Please handle all materials carefully. Take care to turn items and pages gently. Do not alter, mark, fold, crease, or set items on top of materials.
- Please preserve the exact arrangement of materials within their folders or boxes.