Material in Special Collections includes valuable, fragile, or difficult to replace items such as rare books, surveying maps, architectural drawings, tools, art, and artifacts. Unlike materials in the university archives, special collection materials in general are not directly related to the university. Brief descriptions of each collection appear below and include links to available finding aids.
Rare Monographs & Bound Journals Collection
While the library does not actively collect rare books, this collection of books and bound journals is considered rare due to age, binding, edition, or other reasons. Items from this collection are cataloged in GIL-Find.
Trade Catalog Collection
A group of late 19th and early 20th century American manufacturers’ catalogs depicting the technology of the day. Items from this collection are cataloged in GIL-Find.
John W. Pattillo Atlanta History Collection
More than 125 titles on Atlanta and its history, particularly strong in Atlanta Civil War history. Donated by John W. Pattillo (1930-2000), L.V. Johnson Library Director from 1965-1991. Items from this collection are cataloged in GIL-Find.
Architectural Renderings, Surveys, and Maps
Wilfred J. Gregson Architectural Drawing Collection
Thousands of architectural drawings and other visual materials representing the architectural work of Atlanta architect Wilfred J. Gregson from 1946-1974. Gregson & Ellis, Architects was a prolific and well-respected architectural firm that designed primarily commercial and public buildings, the majority of which are located in Georgia. Approximately 2,000 items from this collection are organized by building name, described in a finding aid, and cataloged in GIL-Find.
William Bingham Surveying Collection
1,234 survey maps donated by Mrs. William Bingham in 2001. Click here for the index to the Bingham collection.
Douglas Middleton Surveying Collection
1,632 original survey maps with title and job indexes, donated by Mr. Douglas Middleton in 1988. Click here for a brief description of the Middleton collection. Click here for the index to the Middleton collection.
Click here for the index.
Alan and Louise Sellars Antique Tool Collection
400 hand-crafted and factory-made tools from the 17th through 19th centuries donated by Alan and Louise Sellars. Originally displayed on the second floor of the library on 20 panels constructed by the university’s Plant Operations, the tools were removed from display in 1995 when damage from wood-boring insects was discovered. Currently, two panels of tools (Calipers and Traveller Wheels) have been professionally remounted and are on display in the Popular Reading Area of the library, while the rest of the tools are in storage.
DeLand Carmer, Jr. Apple Peeler Collection
25 antique apple peelers from the 1830 to the early 1900s donated by Mr. DeLand Carmer, Jr. in 1996.
Drafting and Engineering Tool Collection
19th and 20th century compasses, drawing tools and sets, slide rules, and other tools donated to the university by various individuals.
Art & Artifacts
Bealy Smith Architectural Elements
Architectural antiques incorporated into the interior and exterior of the library during the 1988 addition by architects Sizemore and Floyd. Comprised of decorative tiles, arches, friezes, and pilasters of terracotta and cast stone rescued from local landmarks including the Peachtree Arcade, the Atlanta Terminal Station, and the Kimball House Hotel. Most of these elements are described in the Artwork @ L.V. Johnson Library LibGuide.
Bentley-Sellars Art Collection
Original art in various media donated over a number of years primarily by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bentley and Mr. and Mrs. J. Alan Sellars, although artwork from other donors is included within the collection. These works of art are described in the Artwork @ L.V. Johnson Library LibGuide.
Franklin Mint Ingot Collections
The Genius of America, The Official Bicentennial Ingots, The Special Commemorative Issues of 1972, and The Thomason Medallic Bible. Donated by John W. Pattillo (1930-2000), L.V. Johnson Library Director from 1965-1991.
Ross H. and Mary McLean Greeting Card Collection
598 greeting cards received from 1900-1935 by Dr. Ross McLean, a history professor at Emory University, and Mary McLean, a teacher in the Atlanta Public School system.
John F. and Rosa M. Pattillo Greeting Card Collection
756 greeting cards received from 1939-1998 by John F. and Rosa M. Pattillo. Donated by John W. Pattillo (1930-2000), L.V. Johnson Library Director from 1965-1991.