Qualifying Life Event Changes
Employees experiencing a qualifying life event have 30 days from the event date to request desired coverage changes through the University.
Qualifying Life Events include:
- Birth/adoption/gaining legal guardianship
- Divorce or legal separation
- Changes in spouse's coverage or employment status
- Your child(ren) meets (or fails to meet) the plan’s eligibility rules (for example, student status changes)
- You or one of your covered dependents gain or lose other benefits coverage due to a change in employment status (for example, beginning or ending a job)
All qualifying life events require submission of supporting documentation to the Office of Human Resources. Required documentation serves to substantiate the following:
- General description of the event
- Event effective date
- Names of individuals affected by the event
Acceptable documentation examples include:
- Marriage license
- Divorce or separation decree
- Birth certificate
- Spouse employment status documents (offer letter, COBRA notice, etc)
- Spouse coverage status change (enrollment or termination notice, etc).
Proof of dependent status:If an employee is covering their spouse and/or eligible dependents for the first time, proof of the dependent relationship must also be submitted (in addition to documentation supporting the event). Acceptable documentation includes:
- For spouse - Copy of marriage license AND a document dated within the past 3 to 6 months which confirms a current / existing financial connection (i.e most recent joint tax return, a joint account bill, etc).
- For dependents - Copy of birth certificate, adoption or legal guardianship decree. If dependent is 19 or older and dental, vision or life insurance coverage is desired, documentation must also be provided establishing full-time student enrollment.
Resources to help in completing changes:
- Review the HR Guide to Making Your Qualifying Life Event Changes for detailed instructions on how to complete changes in ADP.
- To make your changes, access the ADP portal.
- Review the University's Benefits Overview Page for benefit summaries, helpful links and other coverage related information,
- For questions or assistance, please contact the University System of Georgia Shared Services Call Center at 1(855)214-2644 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.