1. Be enrolled, 6 or more credit hours, at SPSU or Georgia Highlands.
2. Be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher (maintaining a 2.5 semester) and in good conduct standing with your institution and Housing and Residence Life.
3. Have basic knowledge of office procedures including filing, typing, phone skills, etc.
1. Be alert to any situation or condition which may require immediate attention: inform Housing and Residence Life, Residence Hall Staff, or Public Safety as appropriate.
2. Demonstrate a friendly customer service attitude.
1. Participate in DA training sessions and regular staff meetings.
2. Be available to cover extra desk shifts when needed.
1. Act as a role model for community members.
2. Uphold the Code of Conduct and comply with University Policy, Federal and Local Laws.
1. Maintain a positive attitude that is welcoming to all customers and supportive of the University and Housing and Residence Life.
2. Become familiar with the different offices and services available to students at the University in order to make appropriate referrals to residents and visitors.
1. Answer the duty phone, receive and disseminate fliers and other information, and
observe activity in the halls.
2. Provide clerical support for RAs and Area Coordinators, inputting work orders, e-mailing residents, creating documents, etc.
3. Receive and report requests for repairs, maintenance and lock changes.
4. Maintain complete and accurate notes in the Communication Log at the beginning and end of each shift and being aware of notes from others’ shifts.
5. Maintain an orderly desk and monitor desk supplies and equipment, making sure all equipment remains in good working order.
6. Issue equipment such as gaming and cleaning supplies and maintain information regarding equipment use and damage.
7. Assist with promotion and other advertising for programs and building needs, as needed.
Terms of Employment:
1. Appointment is for one academic year (Fall and Spring).
2. Because of the nature of the DA position each DA is asked to be:
a. Available to return prior to the opening of the residence halls each semester and work until the closing of the halls each semester.
b. Responsible for covering holidays and other University breaks (e.g., Thanksgiving, and Winter and Spring Breaks).
c. Available to work weekends.
3. DAs must adhere to all expectations outlined in the Desk Assistant contract. A
DA may be dismissed from the position for continued poor performance.
4. Each DA is evaluated throughout the academic year and will be provided feedback throughout their employment period.
5. The period of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of tasks, positive evaluations, and exhibition of personal growth in the position.
Reports to: Residence Life Coordinator