Advising for Spring 2014
So that you have the best chance of registering for the courses you need, please carefully
follow these steps:
Step One. Set up appointments with (A) your school or major (departmental) advisor and (B) your
For (A), find the name and contact information for your major advisor or school advisor
and contact one or the other for an appointment. If you are a first- or second-year
student, you may want to contact your school advisor, and if you are a junior or senior,
your major or departmental advisor.
- Major Advisors--In Banner, major advisor information shows up before or after the
listing of classes. In DegreeWorks, major advisor information is in the first column.
- School Advisors--Here is the contact information for all five SPSU school advisors:
- Architecture & Construction Management, Ms. Mary Neely, firstname.lastname@example.org, 678-915-4281, I-32
- Arts & Science (& Undeclared Majors), Ms. Martina McWilliams, email@example.com, 678-915-3727, J-329
- Computing & Software Engineering, Ms. Beth Haynie, firstname.lastname@example.org, 678-915-3572, J-375
- Engineering, Ms. Jessica Williamson, email@example.com, 678-915-3028, Q-317
- Engineering Technology & Management, Ms. Vanessa Bard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 678-915-7231, Q-330.
For (B), please follow this procedure:
- Check Dr. Omidvar's or Ms. Parker's available hours during the advising period (October
- Select two available 15-minute slots for either Dr. Omidvar or Ms. Parker.
- Email the advisor you want to see (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org). Please
also make sure that you copy (cc) email@example.com.
- Mark your calendar once you receive a confirmation.
Step Two. Prepare for your appointments:
- Download and print the Honors Advising Form for Spring 2014 (pdf version).
- Review available course offerings in the Schedule of Classes, which shows course sections as they appear in Banner. To find courses, make sure
you select "Spring 2014" and appropriate course category (Honors, Biology, etc.).
For Honors courses, you can also visit Spring '14 Course Offerings, which shows the latest courses Honors offers as soon as a decision is made.
- Note that if you check courses in Banner, you will not find Honors courses as a separate
- Fill out the Honors Advising Form for Spring 2014.
Step Three. Take your filled out Honors Advising Form for Spring 2014 to your appointment with
your school or major advisor.
- Ask your advisor to review your courses and to sign off on the form.
Step Four. Bring your completed form to your appointment with your Honors advisor. We will provide
advising on Honors requirements and register you for classes.