Division A (ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, grades 3-6)
2014 State Qualifying ESO Competitions: (full list of qualifying competitions as of Jan 1, 2014)
1. Gwinnett County Public Schools Elementary Science Olympiad: Brookwood High, open to GCPS Elementary Schools as first priority. Teams from outside GCPS may participate if there is available space. Details; Contact Dr. Jonathon Wetherington, Jonathon_wetherington@gwinnett.k12.ga.us for registration details. Feb 15, 2014. Reg fee $60 per team from outside GCPS.
2. GA Tech ESO (Savannah): Contact Dr. Carolyn Perry, firstname.lastname@example.org Teams in the district have priority but remaining space may be available to teams outside the district. Feb 12-14, 2014, Reg fee may apply.
3. Cobb Co ESO: Walton High School, Marietta: Contact Dr. Sally Creel, email@example.com OPEN to any teams up to the event capacity. Location, March 1, 2014. Reg fee $25 per team from outside Cobb Co Schools. Link for registration: www.signupgenius.com/go/60B054BA4AD229-cobb3
4. Northeast Georgia Science Olympiad Invitational: Athens area. Contact Kenneth Linsley firstname.lastname@example.org for registration details. AT CAPACITY, NO FURTHER REGISTRATIONS ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME, 1/27/14
5. Fayette Co Elementary Science Olympiad: Sandy Creek High School, Fayettevile; Contact Patricia Dunac for details email@example.com Teams from Fayette Co Schools have priority for registration but teams are allowed to add if there is space remaining. A registration fee may be charged. Mar 8, 2014
6.South Ga Elem Science Olympiad: South Ga State College, Waycross; Contact Reba Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Registration is OPEN to all teams. Reg fee $50 per team. Mar 7, 2014
7. West GA RESA Elementary Science Olympiad: Brooks Elementary, Coweta Co. Contact Dr. Katie Thompson email@example.com for details. Teams from Coweta Co and the West GA RESA have registration priority. Reg fee $75 per team. Mar 8, 2014
8. Cherokee County School District Science Olympiad; Cherokee County High School. Director Jessica Porter, firstname.lastname@example.org Not open to teams outside Cherokee County Schools.
9. Bartow/Paulding Elementary Science Olympiad Regional; Woodland High School, Cartersville. Contact Janet Robison, email@example.com for registration details. Bartow County Schools have registration priority but remaining available team space is open for additional teams. Reg fee $35 per team. Mar 15, 2014.
10. Hall County Elementary Science Olympiad: Martin Technology Academy of Math and Science; Contact Becky Vinson firstname.lastname@example.org for registration details. Registration is OPEN to any teams until the capacity is met. A registration fee will be charged, amount TBA. Mar 22, 2014. Registration Link:
11. Forsyth County ESO Competition; Lambert High School, Suwanee; Contact Dr. Kelly Price, email@example.com for registration details. Forsyth Co Schools have registration priority but open team slots are OPEN to any teams. A registration fee of $30 per team from outside Forsyth County will be charged. Apr 12, 2014, Registration link: http://conta.cc/1gVniOd
12. DeKalb County Elementary Science Olympiad Tournament; Druid Hills Middle School, Decatur; Contact Michael Dowling, firstname.lastname@example.org for registration details. Non DCSD public schools pay $25 reg fee per team. No schools allowed from outside DeKalb County.
What is Elementary Science Olympiad? (ESO)
Elementary Science Olympiad provides students engaging learning opportunities in STEM in a variety of ways. ESO may be used for classroom instruction, Science Days/Nights, Inter-grade level competition (such as a Science Field Day) and as a Competition. Each state/event organizer determines whether to offer ESO competitions. Georgia hosts one of the largest ESO competitions with 65 teams each May at Kennesaw State University.
NEW for 2014! Ga ESO will implement a qualifying system to earn a team slot at the state competition at Kennesaw State in May 2014. Affiliated ESO competitions will be given an allotment of team slots for the state ESO competition. Only 1 team per school/organization may advance to the state competition even if a school/organization competes with multiple teams an affiliated qualifying ESO competition. This models the structure for middle and high school GASO.
No local ESO competition in your area? 1. Consider running your own affiliated competition with the teams/schools around you or 2. There will be a limited number of lottery awarded team slots at state. The lottery sign up for these "wild card" team slots will be posted in March 2014.
What defines a TEAM for ESO competition?
The ESO state competition advisory board has defined a TEAM for ESO competition as:
Teams my be composed of up to 20 3rd-6th grade students. Each team may have up to eight 5th grade students or up to six 6th grade students, with no more than 8 total 5th and 6th grade students.
Event Rule Books: These may be purchased from the Science Olympiad Store for a cost of $20 plus shipping.
Other helpful Resources:
North Carolina Science Olympiad Webpage: www.sciencenc.com