Plan to fund your project? Check out http://www.kickstarter.com/ for possibly fundraising!
All-purpose game development threads are also available.
All-around good site with lots of articles on game development.
Here are some free tools/engines:
- Setting up repositories and collaboration spaces
- Processing - a good simple way to do lots of cool stuff fast
- 2D Tools
- 3D Tools
- 2D / 3D Art Assets
- Photos (flickr with creative commons search flag on)
Check out the following links to learn more about various technologies in game development.
This page will be updated often, so revisit for more information.
- User Interface (HUD) Development
- Artificial Intelligence
- 3D modeling & art
- A great set of interviews from industry folks on the role of the technical artist
- GECK (Fallout 3 Development)
- XNA Examples
- Gamemaker Examples
- Unreal Engine Examples
- J2ME Examples
- Torque Examples
- Blender Examples
- Havok Examples
- .NET Compact Framework (Windows Mobile Dev)
Programming In General
Another good clearinghouse of articles: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html.
A good site with some nice articles on AI: http://robert.zubek.net/publications/index.html
General info site on game design and a searchable database of schools.