What is verification?
Verification is a process that the federal government requires schools to perform
in order to verify that the information students provide on their FAFSA Application
Why was I selected for verification?
The federal government randomly selects 30-35% of all students who submit the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for verification. Because the selection
process is random, it is always a possibility that you may be selected for verification
each year. You may also be selected if you provide conflicting information on the
FAFSA. For example: If you mark that you have not yet received a bachelor’s degree,
but then mark that you will be pursuing a graduate degree, you will be selected for
What type of documentation is needed for verification?
If you are chosen for verification, you will be notified by email that you have been
selected. The documentations needed to complete the verification process is located
on BANNER WEB. Please do not send any documentation unless you have been notified
to do so by our office.
If I am selected for verification, when will I be notified?
If you are chosen for verification, we will notify you within 10-15 business days
of receiving your Student Aid Report from the federal processors.
What happens if I am selected for verification?
If you receive notification from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid that
you have been selected for verification, it is very important that you return the
requested documentation to our office as soon as possible. After all documentation
has been received by our office, processing usually takes 2-3 weeks; however, it may
take up to 5 weeks during the peak processing season. Upon completion of verification,
you will receive an Award Letter describing the type of aid you are eligible for.
How to use the IRS Data Retrieval for verification?
VERIFICATION: IRS DATA RETRIEVAL INSTRUCTIONS
If you were selected for verification you must verify your tax information supplied
on the FAFSA. You can have your IRS Tax information verified through the “IRS Data
- POINT your web browser to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
- CLICK on “Start Here”
- You must enter your first name, last name, SSN, and your date of birth.
- Click “Next”
- Select the “2013-2014” tab
- Scroll down and select “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- You must enter your FAFSA PIN (To apply for a PIN, if you do not already have one, or for customer service regarding
a previously assigned PIN, visit www.pin.ed.gov).
- You must create a temporary Password. This password will be deleted when you hit “submit”.
- Click “Next”
- Select “Financial Information” from the bar across the top.
- The “IRS Data Retrieval” screen appears
- Select “Already Completed” from the drop down menu
- Five Yes/No questions will be asked. If you answer “Yes” to any of these then you
will need to request an IRS Tax Transcript. The instructions are below.
- If Dependent, select your parent and enter his or her FAFSA PIN.
- If Independent, enter your FAFSA PIN.
- Click on “Link to IRS”.
- A page will come up warning that you are about to leave the FAFSA website. Continue
to the next page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you are told that your IRS Tax information is not available, you will have to order
a Tax Transcript.
- If your data is available you will be asked to verify some information.
- Confirm your name, Select your TAX Filing status, Enter the address you used on your
- Click “Submit”
- A screen should appear telling you what information will transfer into your FAFSA,
- Select the check box for “Transfer my Tax Information into my FAFSA”.
- Click on “Transfer Now”
- The information will update the FAFSA and you will be returned to the FASFA website.
- Review your changes, select “Next” when ready.
- If you are a “Dependent” student you will need to complete steps 5-9 for both the
student and a parent.
- You will be at the “Sign and Submit” section.
- Enter your PIN and select “Agree”, click on “Sign”
- Repeat this step for each person whose information you are updating: Mother, Father,
- Select “Submit my FAFSA now”
- You will get a confirmation page. Print or Save this for your records.
- Select “Exit” at the bottom of the page.
- Select” Logout” at the top of the page.
- Your updated information will be sent to the financial aid office.
- Complete the Verification Worksheet if you have not already done so.
- If you receive notification that there was no match in the IRS database you should
double check your filing status and address you provided to make sure they match your
- If that doesn’t resolve the problem you may need to order an IRS Tax Transcript from
Just click on “Order a Return or Account Transcript”. Be sure to order a “Tax Return Transcript”.
- If that is unsuccessful you can attain a Tax Return Transcript from an IRS Office;
which can be located using this site: http://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp
- You may want to re-attempt this process a week later, as it may be a timing issue.