In 1948 Southern Polytechnic State University, known as "The Technical Institute", started as an educational institute training engineering technicians. The first quarter of classes started on March 1948, with 116 students total, and 13 students in the Surveying and Construction Technology program. The campus was located on the site of Naval Air Station in Chamblee. The program curriculum was designed to offer wide range of civil and surveying technology related technical courses over the course of 6 quarters in two years. Click here to see the first course checklist of Surveying and Construction Technology Program. In the following year, the program name was changed to Civil Technology and the program continued to offer both surveying and civil technology courses in the same two-year curriculum until 1963. The civil program changed names and descriptions several times to reflect its continued growth and success to provide the best educational experience that prepares its students for the industry.
In 1958, Civil Engineering Technology Department and The State Highway Department started a co-op program. Students may work a quarter with the Highway Department after completing a school quarter.
Civil Technology program was first accredited in 1953 by the Engineer's Council for Professional Development. In 1963, the department had a new name; Civil Engineering Technology with two options:
From 1963 to 1970 Civil Engineering Technology department continued granting associate in science degrees. In 1970, Southern Technical Institute started to offer B.S. degrees in several majors including Civil Engineering Technology. The students had the opportunity to finish their associate degree in two years and study for another two years to get a bachelors of science degree in Civil Engineering Technology.
In 1973, Civil Engineering Technology program was accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology), and maintained its high quality education by staying accredited until now.
From 1982 to 1984 the department name was changed to Civil and Architectural Engineering Department. In 1984 it was changed back to Civil Engineering Technology, but the department had revised and restructured itself to encompass the following options;
In 1990, the Environmental and Control was added as the fifth option. In the same year, Southern College of Technology stopped offering associate in science degrees. In 1992, sixth option in Transportation was added to the Civil Engineering Technology curriculum.
In 1998, the school name was changed to Southern Polytechnic State University and options from the Civil Engineering Technology program were all removed, but a new four-year B.S. program, Surveying and Mapping, was added.
Now, Civil Engineering Technology and Surveying and Mapping Programs are housed under the Department of Civil engineering Technology.
During the formation of Civil Engineering Technology Department, several key individuals contributed significant time, effort, and knowledge to the successful development of the curriculum. Mr. Charles T. Holladay was the first Head of the Civil Engineering Technology Department. Mr. Holladay was a Tennessee Polytechnic Institute graduate, and held a professional engineering license. He was also a registered land surveyor in the State of Georgia. He served as the department head from 1951 to 1982.
CET Department Heads
|1951-1982||Charles T. Holladay, B.S.C.E., Tennessee Polytechnic Institute, P.E., R.L.S.|
|1982-1984||Robert Myatt, B.C.E, North Caroline State University, P.E., R.L.S.|
|1984-1989||David Hornbeck, Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, P.E., R.L.S.|
|1989-1996||Boyce Tate, M.S., University of Virginia, P.E., R.L.S.|
|1996-1999||Hans A. Troemel, B.S., Oglethorpe University, R.L.S.|
|1999-||Timothy W. Zeigler, M.S., University of Illinois, P.E.|
|Charles T. Holladay||Robert Myatt||David Hornbeck|
|Hans A. Troemel||Timothy W. Zeigler|
|CET PROFESSOR EMERITUS|
Bennett, David M., Professor Emeritus
Holladay, Charles T., Professor Emeritus
Hornbeck, David E., Professor Emeritus
Orlandella, Michael R., Associate Professor Emeritus
Troemel, Hans A., Associate Professor, Emeritus
|Charles T, Holladay||Frank Bullard||Robert L. Myatt|
|Edward L. Reese||Harold R. Nurse||Rezin E. Pidgeon|
|Richard D. Barkdale||Joseph E. Bowles||Hans A. Troemel|
|James R. Martin||Edgar T. Fowler||Wendell B. Getchell|
|Rolf W. Roley||William Gordon||John W. Van Hoy|
|David M. Bennett||Robert S. Kramer||John T. Nevitt|
|John C. Potter||Townsend H. Cushmnan||Michael R. Orlandella|
|Jacque L. Williams||David E. Hornbeck||Gerhard W. Schulz|
|Gilbert R. Puffer||Robert L. Carter||Maurice L. Northcutt|
|Keith G. Akhlaghi||James Wakeman||Boyce D. Tate|
|Bushwa N. Acharys||Samuel J. P. Beadles||Patrick A. Phearson|
|Nancy J. Turner||Harry D. Allen||Kathleen C. McGowan|
|Yancy L. Gill||Mehrdad Mesbahi||Matthew M. Wilson|
|Thomas R. Currin||Jerry Isenburg||Timothy W. Zeigler|
|Carlos A. Ortiz||Fatih Oncul||Dan Branham|