» SPSU Home / ATTIC / Disabilities / FAQ's


Student Center  - Building A

Suite 160

1100 South Marietta Pkwy

Marietta, GA 30060

Phone: (678) 915-7361

Fax: (678) 915 - 7913


  1. What is a disability?

    A disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working).  Southern Polytechnic State University adheres to the Georgia Board of Regents guidelines to follow the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (PL933-112 Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. 

    Please note that describing a disability does not make a disability, and isolated test anxiety is not considered a disability under the ADA.

  2. What do I have to do to receive Disability Services?

    - New and Current students have to voluntarily identify themselves  to the Disability Service Provider (DSP) in the Disability Service Office to receive accommodations.

    - Students need to schedule an initial interview with the DSP to discuss their needs and register for services.

    - Students who present current and comprehensive documentation to the ATTIC may request accommodations.

    - Students are strongly encouraged to come in at the beginning of each semester in order to allow reasonable time for processing their requests.(Specific information on required documentation can be obtained from the DSP.)

  3. How can I be assessed for a disability?

    Student who believe they have a disability and need accommodations but do not have proper documentation can, through an Office of Disability Services referral, obtain a thorough assessment for a fee at the Regents Center For Learning Disorders housed at Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA.  Or they can schedule testing through an outside evaluator.  Outside evaluators must follow guidelines established by the Regents Center (
  4. How are my professors notified about my disability?

    - At the beginning of each semester the student will obtain a Faculty Accommodations Form (FAF) from the DSP.
    -The student will take this form to each professor to obtain a signature and have a discussion in regards to accommodation implementation as it pertains to that course.
    - The form must be returned to the DSP once it has all professor signatures.
    - Copies will be made for the student to distribute back to the professors.  This completes the notification process.
  5. Do I have to apply every semester for accommodations?

    Students are required to obtain a FAF from the DSP every semester that they implement accommodations in the classroom.

Facebook Twitter YouTube