Department Chair Meeting Minutes
Date: February 10, 2005
Room: D-127 10:00-11:00 AM
Meeting began 10:05
- Alan Gabrielli, Dean, Arts & Sciences
- La Juana Cochrane, Department Chair, Social & International Studies
- Joel Fowler, Department Chair, Mathematics
- Ken Rainey, Department Chair, Humanities & Technical Communication
- John Sink, Acting Department Chair, Biology, Chemistry & Physics
Gabrielli received additional OSE funds from Hornbeck. Hornbeck
used a parameter-driven formula to determine distribution of funds to the departments
in Academic Affairs.
ALC meeting Topic: Retention and Graduation Rates.
- Gabrielli discussed under-funding concerns with Hornbeck
- Before distributing final funds to departments, Gabrielli wants each departments to
determine what they need to make it through the FY doing just what they have to do, what
additional funds they need to do everything they should do, and finally, what additional
funds they need to do everything they would like to do.
- Student Assistant Budget-chairs to check if current budget supports SA needs for the
remainder of the FY
- Equipment Budget- Proposals due on 2/18/05. Equipment proposals will be prioritized
and submitted to Hornbeck.
Sink discussed equipment repair and replacement needs
Accessing Banner from home was discussed by Rainey. Gabrielli will check into it.
Deans Council Update: Some topics discussed at the latest meeting were
- Hornbeck and the deans discussed Graduate Program issues and will recommend
splitting the Graduate Programs committee into two committees.
- A 4 year General Studies degree completion program was discussed. A proposal
will go to the Faculty Senate. Details will be distributed to the chairs.
- Fowler (Math)
- The dept.'s annual MathSciNet subscription was renewed
- The new Math 4451-Application of Mathematics has 9 students
who are studying with individual professors and so far is going well.
- Rainey (HTC)
- Carol Barnum received an outstanding article award from the Journal of Technical Communication
- Susan Morrow is retiring. The search for her replacement is in its final stages
- The 2+2 Technical Writing Program at Northeast Normal University in China is under way.
Dr. Rainey will be visiting the 53 students in China in May to check on the program
- Sink (BCP)
- Concerns about not enough funds and running out of funds to operate his department.
- The mentoring program with magnet students from the High School is going well.
- Concerned about lack of funding. for chemical wastes disposal
- Cochrane (SIS)
- The department is having difficulty finding Internship for IS students, requests ideas from other departments. Will have discussion with CIA (on campus today) about internship/funding
- Discussion on possibly working with HTC on BA in International Technical Communication
- Pizza Party planned for IS Majors � Cochrane will also use the opportunity to emphasis academic performance and expectations
- IS:GT students are planning to start their own organization.
The meeting adjourned at 11:05 a.m.