Wood Shop and Digital Fabrication Lab
Wood Shop and Digital Fabrication Lab
It is our objective to provide the students with an opportunity to use state of the art equipment to allow them to express their designs, thoughts and ideas in the most effective way.
The Woodshop provides students a hands-on experience to build models and components with state of the art machines. The space is equipped with an array of wood-working and model building equipment, power tools and hand tools. The shop space is an open area visible to public with controlled student access. A shop office is included in the space for direct observation and supervision.
The Digital Fabrication Lab is equipped with several state of the art CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machines, including:
- A 5-axis CNC router that fully supports digital fabrication of complex design projects.
- A 3 Axis CNC router used to introduce 3D modeling and creation concepts and complete less complex projects such as producing topographical models and 3D designs.
- Five 75 watt laser cutters located in the Laser Fab Lab, provide ample opportunities for cutting edge development to realize design concepts into production that are otherwise not possible by regular wood shop machines. We have (4) machines with 24”x36” capacity and (1) with 18”x24” capacity.
- Four 3D printers which can produce almost any scaled object for design concept visualization up to 6” x 7” x 9”. Three are located in the Design I building Plotter Lab and one is in building N - Room N008.
- A 24”x24” Vacuum forming machine, capable of forming plastic designs.
- A 3D scanner (located in the plotter lab) for scanning small objects into a digital format.
HOURS for Fall 2014 Semester
Building N Woodshop Monday - Friday
8AM to 10PM - Except on the following days:
- November 26th Wednesday 9AM-3PM
- November 27-28th [Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday]
- December 10-19th 9AM to 4PM
- December 22nd to January 1st [Closed for Christmas Holiday]
Building I-1 Woodshop
Tentative hours will be Monday – Thursday 4pm to 9pm. Start dates will be announced pending hiring of staff.
- Shop use is a privilege
- You must clean up the area before you leave the shop
- Professional behavior is required.
- Understand that the shop staff is in charge – failure to follow their instructions will result in expulsion from the shop and loss of shop access for the semester.
General Safety rules
- Do not adjust equipment settings – only staff and student assistants are allowed to change machine settings
- No open shoes are allowed in any of the shop and digital fabrication areas. (no flip flops, river shoes, sandals, etc)
- Safety glasses are required in all shop areas where power tools are being used except the Laser Fab Lab.
- Hair longer than shoulder length must be put up or contained so that it cannot be caught in any moving equipment.
- Jewelry – any jewelry that hangs away from the body or that may otherwise become involved with moving equipment must be removed.
- Scarves, Neckties or anything that loosely hangs or wraps around the head or neck are not permitted in the shop.
- Student provided breathing protection is recommended when working around sanders and other dust producing operations.
- Hearing protection is not required but recommended in areas when loud equipment such as CNC equipment, table saws, air tools and dust collectors are in use.
Training is required for general shop access and specific training is required for the below listed equipment. Each student must read the guides and sign off that they understand the equipment and its uses and agree to follow all safety, equipment and management rules.
Shop staff will always be on site to assist and demonstrate the use of any equipment. Please do not attempt to change blades or make machine modifications without shop staff approval.
Students as a class will be given a tour of the shop and a brief description of the equipment, its uses and specific safety rules.
Staff will be available to individually train students with each piece of equipment when they are ready to use it.
Equipment with specific training requirements: You must download and read the guides for the list of equipment below before you are allowed to use them. <See the downloads page>
- Laser cutters
- 3D printers (Makerbot Replicator 2X)
- Vacuum Forming Machine
- 3 Axis and 5 Axis CNC routers