SPSU's Advising Mission Statement
The mission of the advising program at Southern Polytechnic State University is to provide for and support a continuing system of academic advising that will empower students:
- To integrate into and develop the understanding and skills to function and prosper in the academic community
- To grow into well rounded, responsible academic citizens,
- To identify and make progress toward intermediate and long-range goals,
- To graduate from SPSU in a manner consistent with the student’s goals.
and that will equip faculty with the necessary skills:
- To advise students on academic matters including academic policies and curriculum issues
- To coach students on classroom success strategies
- To mentor students with the purpose of helping them achieve their academic and career goals and to make them life-long members of SPSU’s academic community.
Academic advising is a systematic student-centered developmental process consisting of active communication and information exchange. In this process the students and advisors develop a collaborative relationship resulting in a successful academic experience. The students are empowered to clarify life/career goals consistent with their interests, values, skills and abilities. Together the students and their faculty advisors develop an educational plan and identify the necessary services and contacts to assist students in achieving their maximum educational potential. In this process the faculty advisors are facilitators who provide guidance, referrals, and ongoing evaluation of the student's progress.